UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Standup paddleboard or sup
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:40 pm 

Hi Guys, Ive been thinking of getting afloat after problems with packed beaches this summer and the sight of feeding gulls just out of reach from the shore. As I like to stand and I will be fishing in calmish waters I've narrowed it down to either a Nucanoe or an inflatable sup. With the latter I'd be able to take it abroad to access more flats on DIY trips.
Any opinions chaps
Thanks
Michael

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Standup paddleboard or sup
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:27 pm 

easy enough to stand in a moken angler. not so easy to put it on an aeroplane, tho'.....

dave

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:58 am 

Thanks for your advice Dave. I looked at the dimensions and they seemed a good few inches narrower than the nucanoe. Maybe I will have to give it a trial.
Michael

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:19 pm 

I thought I would post an update. I eventually went for an inflatable sup by Aqua Marina. It has held up well being used here at home and also on 2 foreign trips, the first to Mahahual in Mexico and then a 7week trip to Greece , mainland and 2 islands. Its more than paid for itself in saving guide fees in Mexico as I was able to access more remote f lats than I would have been able to do on foot. Transportation has been fine on both airlines and bus although explaining it to 2 Mexican Soldiers at a jungle checkpoint near Xcalak was an experience.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:31 am 

That's interesting Michael. Wonder how many people will read it? Do you find you have to have reasonably flat water or can you use it in a bit of a chop? And what about when the tide is running - is it easy enough to go against it? Most important of all, have you been catching fish from it?

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:14 am 

Hi Andy, its easy enough paddling against my local tides must some would be difficult. Chop isn't too much of a problem either but you do get a bit of surface water remaining on the deck rather than running off the tail straightaway. With it being an inflatable wind is the biggest hassle, you have a larger above water profile and can get blown around more. A drogue would probable help here but I haven't tried one yet I just avoid the windy days.
As to catching fish it works. My local bass stock seems to be non existing for the past few years so if I target them I blank otherwise mackerel and pollock seem to make up my local catches from my board. Further afield it works brilliantly Ive caught bonefish, various snappers, blue runner, and small jacks on it. Also cast to permit. Just need to build up the courage to use it on the tarpon lagoons around Mahahual on my next trip, Ive been put off by the crocs there in the past.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:30 pm 

Good stuff! I have a few friends in NE Florida who use SUPs (not inflatable, wouldn't last two minutes with the oysters there) and they really like them. I have to confess I haven't got out in the salt for a long time now. Mullet could tempt me and I will have all the time in the world soon - retirement day is next Friday! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:43 am 

Yes I agree about the oysters, inflatable means easy transport. I wouldnt have liked to try and take a rigid sup on an airline. Your Florida friends have some fantastic choices, I love the Bote range of sups including the new Rover which is meant to rival a Soloskiff boat. My thoughts are turning to Texas and some action with tailing reds on the grass flats.

Profile E-mail