UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: bamboo sticks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:44 pm 

Happy New Year to all.Following on from soldier palmers thoughts on light tackle I have produced two new cane rods for the new season.
[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/assagai/media/IMG_1720_zps397a0f40.jpg.html]Image[/URL
Both are of a quadrate design 2 piece sticks for 6w/t double taper line with a mild swell in the butt for backbone,but that is where the similarities end.The top rod in the first picture is comprised of 4 strips of Moso cane,hollowed out for 2/3 of total length,rod length is 7 foot 2 inch.
The second rod is 8 foot with a narrower more progressive taper and comprising of only two strips of Tonkin cane.Ferules are made of bamboo which are bound with nylon for strength.Both rods are 7% wider across the width as this forces the rod to flex in the casting plane.The reel seats are home made affairs of my own design,the butt cap incorporates a threaded stud which screws into an insert in the rod butt,this pushes and holds the foot ring securly over the reel foot.I have used marine grade alli to machine the rings so hopefully corrosion won't be an issue.Snake guides are again home made from stainless steel wire.(stainless mig welding wire,I have used it for a whyle now without problems).Grips are simple cigar shapes because I find traditional paterns tend to confine my grip to a particular position which I do not always feel comfortable with,these allow me to change grip easily.Both rods have 3 coats yacht spar varnish,with a final cote of wax over that.Casting on grass has been pretty nice with no surprises.I like cane because it loads fast and has an ability to lift a lot of line off the water so that to me equals less false casting.I tend to fish shallower water along the shore line so as long as it is not blowing a gale I should be o.k.It is my new year wish that these will improve my mullet catch rate,time will tell.

Profile E-mail