UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: pike 20.01.10
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:42 pm 

So it was a day of work my first in i dont know how long. The weather was pants, seriously damp but i didn't care and i had to use my day up of, jermy kyle and gmtv was a no go. So yak on roof and headed to a lake i recently came across. Got ready for the off and loaded up with the snowbee deep blue and the rio shooting head system.

i then headed of to a likely spot some 200 yards or so away from the launch spot and began drifting fishing in close in the shallows. Useing a split tail bunny in charestuse and black nothing happened.

I then moved of to another bay and began the same drift on the oppostite side of the lake. A switch of fly to a whistler and my first pike came to hand, at bloddy last. :D

i was disgusted to find the condtion of this fish, u can just about make out in the photo above around the mouth. on closer inspection inside my fly was a dead baiters treble and wire. cant help wondering on this one. the fish did kick away happy though :D

achor down incase fish where holding in this corner and indeed they were i had a several pulls and plenty of interest to another pattern. then bang all went dead. In for a break and a soup then

I returned to the same bay and began the same tactics within two casts i had yet another fish. the best of the day no idea of the weight as i didn't bother bringing this one into the yak

The bay then went dead again so time for a move, within 100 or yards i had the smallest fish of the day again close in on the shallows, quick reach for the camera and it has no screen, a tad waterlogged to say the least but thankfully i managed to get the pics of so slipped him back. This one fell to a black and charetuse split tail bunny.

time to chill out at anchor and fire and a few around an island at the other end of the lake

Nothing happened at anchor so i began another small dirft before packing it in, one more fish around 5lb to a charetuse hollow fleye, landed and jumped back out of the yak in an acrobotic style even before i got a look. Great day out even though i got waterlogged cigs, camera and trunks.

Post subject: Re: pike 20.01.10
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:41 am 

Good report and pic's Steve, nice to see some one getting out.

well good deed of the day saving pike.

Have a look at the new canon powershot D10 camera, it's waterproof and my next one for fishing.

Dai. :wink:

http://daijonesflies.blogspot.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:04 pm 

Well done Stevie, nice report. looks a nice lake as well. Looked a dull and miserable day, perfect for piking.

Soaking wet cigs = zip lock bags, works for me when I fall in the surf :mrgreen: Just remember to put the lighter in there to.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:57 pm 

Search the internet for canoe sacks, available in many diffrent sizes, i use them everytime im fishing/camping/exercise/hunting... garaunteed waterproof :D I Use them for pretty much anything that needs waterproofing especially my sarnies cos they stop them getting all sandy aswel :lol:

Profile E-mail