UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:17 pm


All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Getting out
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:23 pm
Posts: 776
Location: Swansea, South Wales.
Got out last Tuesday, after all the frozen lakes and flooding rivers it was nice to get out. we got on the lake at 8.00am first fish came to my mate Tony in the first 20 min's, it was very windy and cold but i did think we were going to have it right off :roll: . but should have keeped my mouth shout.

Image
This was the first fish to come to the fly, as you can see no fly in view he really wanted it.
Image
Here is Tony, getting down to the job of getting the fly out, was then hoping to take a few pic's of him holding it up. but as i was taking the photo the fly was out and it did a fine double flip and went home,

After that Tony had one more fish, which we did not take a photo as it was not a nice looker it had been take hold of by a big girl at some time. so unhooked in the water and let to swim off.
The weather then turned very bad, wind lots of rain and the water quality got bad.

Image
Later in the day, i had this one after a few follows.
It was now 4.00pm, and we both had enough so called it a day. but it was nice to get out with a great bud and a few fish.

Dai

_________________
Image
Any day with a y in it, is a good day to go fishing.

http://daijonesflies.blogspot.co.uk/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Getting out
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 8:58 am
Posts: 188
Location: neath. s. wales.
Good to get out and catch some fish,never had a go at the pike on the fly will have to give it a try.
cheers Ray.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Getting out
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:09 pm
Posts: 406
Location: Belfast
nice one dia, going out on sunday myself on the yak, cant wait :D

_________________
Currently eathing, sleeping and breathing swff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Getting out
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:17 pm
Posts: 379
Location: Ireland
Well done Dai, very nice markings on that Pike. Is that one of those Portaboats your fishing from by any chance?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Getting out
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:08 pm
Posts: 325
Location: Was Derbyshire, Peak District, now Hampshire
Well done Dai, lovely fish. I see the Daffs are out :wink:
Cheers Dave

_________________
There's a fine line between SWFFing and standing on the shore looking like a to**er!!!


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Getting out
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:23 pm
Posts: 776
Location: Swansea, South Wales.
JEM7 wrote:
Well done Dai, very nice markings on that Pike. Is that one of those Portaboats your fishing from by any chance?


Yes you are spot on, great bit of kit.

Dai

_________________
Image
Any day with a y in it, is a good day to go fishing.

http://daijonesflies.blogspot.co.uk/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Getting out
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:23 pm
Posts: 776
Location: Swansea, South Wales.
Cheers guys, yes was nice to get out, lets hope the weather starts to settle down. and then the Sewin,Bass, Mullet start to show,

Dai. :wink:

_________________
Image
Any day with a y in it, is a good day to go fishing.

http://daijonesflies.blogspot.co.uk/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Getting out
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:09 pm
Posts: 406
Location: Belfast
daijones wrote:
Cheers guys, yes was nice to get out, lets hope the weather starts to settle down. and then the Sewin,Bass, Mullet start to show,

Dai. :wink:


indeed feels like years since i last seen a bass :lol:

_________________
Currently eathing, sleeping and breathing swff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Getting out
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:17 pm
Posts: 379
Location: Ireland
daijones wrote:
JEM7 wrote:
Well done Dai, very nice markings on that Pike. Is that one of those Portaboats your fishing from by any chance?


Yes you are spot on, great bit of kit.

Dai


Dai,

What size of outboard are you using to push the pair of you along. I have a 3.1hp minn kota electric trolling motor. Was wondering if it would be any use on one of those. Does the boat take a long or short shaft motor?

I have only heard great reports for those boats. Been thinking of selling what I have here and getting one of those for a while. Would be great to get to those small loughs with no access or slipways.

edit: Just found out the boat takes a short shaft engine. Still would like to know what your using on it though. Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Getting out
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:23 pm
Posts: 776
Location: Swansea, South Wales.
JEM7 wrote:
daijones wrote:
JEM7 wrote:
Well done Dai, very nice markings on that Pike. Is that one of those Portaboats your fishing from by any chance?


Yes you are spot on, great bit of kit.

Dai


Dai,

What size of outboard are you using to push the pair of you along. I have a 3.1hp minn kota electric trolling motor. Was wondering if it would be any use on one of those. Does the boat take a long or short shaft motor?

I have only heard great reports for those boats. Been thinking of selling what I have here and getting one of those for a while. Would be great to get to those small loughs with no access or slipways.

edit: Just found out the boat takes a short shaft engine. Still would like to know what your using on it though. Thanks


Hi, Sorry in not coming back sooner, been very busy the last week.

Yes a short shaft, use a 3.5 hp pushes the boat fine, plus the electric one on the boat is the same as yours and it works very well. the boat is a cracking bit of kit and would work well for what you want,

Image
Here is a bow on photo.
Image
And a side on photo,

As i said a great bit of kit.

Dai.

_________________
Image
Any day with a y in it, is a good day to go fishing.

http://daijonesflies.blogspot.co.uk/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Getting out
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 960
Location: Basingstoke
I see you've labelled the seats Dai so you know which way round the boat is....... :twisted:

_________________
Andy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Getting out
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:23 pm
Posts: 776
Location: Swansea, South Wales.
g4vpm wrote:
I see you've labelled the seats Dai so you know which way round the boat is....... :twisted:


One has to do these things some times :lol:

Dai. :wink:

_________________
Image
Any day with a y in it, is a good day to go fishing.

http://daijonesflies.blogspot.co.uk/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Getting out
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:09 pm
Posts: 406
Location: Belfast
dia is this swff acceptable?

if so would you swap me?

Image

ill chuck in a few flys, ya need them mate :P :lol:



:lol: :lol:

_________________
Currently eathing, sleeping and breathing swff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Getting out
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:17 pm
Posts: 379
Location: Ireland
Dai,
Thanks for taking the time to posts those pictures. The boat certainly looks spot on. Great when you think the whole lot gets thrown on the car roof rack. The wheels are a nice touch, but I fear no good for what I have in mind. Probably get bogged down in mud before I got to the waters edge. Some of the loughs I have in mind are a little remote and the boat will probably just be dragged across a field or two. Nice to know it goes ok with such a small motor though. Reckon I might get away with my 3.1hp electric. Will be keeping my eyes open for a second hand one from now on. I have seen one or two come up for sale here. Will go and have a look when another comes up so I can see one close up. Thanks again :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Getting out
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:23 pm
Posts: 776
Location: Swansea, South Wales.
JEM7 wrote:
Dai,
Thanks for taking the time to posts those pictures. The boat certainly looks spot on. Great when you think the whole lot gets thrown on the car roof rack. The wheels are a nice touch, but I fear no good for what I have in mind. Probably get bogged down in mud before I got to the waters edge. Some of the loughs I have in mind are a little remote and the boat will probably just be dragged across a field or two. Nice to know it goes ok with such a small motor though. Reckon I might get away with my 3.1hp electric. Will be keeping my eyes open for a second hand one from now on. I have seen one or two come up for sale here. Will go and have a look when another comes up so I can see one close up. Thanks again :D


No Problem mate, yes it does fold down nice, to the size of a long surf board on the roof rack. and about 8 inch thick,

Dai.

_________________
Image
Any day with a y in it, is a good day to go fishing.

http://daijonesflies.blogspot.co.uk/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group