UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rod for Carp fly fishing
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:36 pm 

I'm interested in a spot of Carp fly fishing come spring onwards, after reading articles on this site and on the web it seems an #8 weight is ideal. I use at present a 9ft G-TEC #8 weight rod for catching stockies, is this ok or should I be looking towards a saltwater #8 rather than a trout #8 rod for the extra power or even a #9?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but at the moment I'm really 'hooked' on using fly tackle and looking to broaden my horizons towards the salt and other species, so I'm reading up on as much as I can at the moment, I know the rod will be ok for the coastal fish but I am a bit unsure if it is up to catching carp or am I worrying over nothing.

If anyone can I offer this novice a bit of advice it will be greatly appreciated.

Lance

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Rod for Carp fly fishing
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:51 pm 

The power isn't an issue i would say.Just the salt friendly components if you want to venture into the "salty side".Even with salt gear i always rinse as soon as i get home.Its too blinking expensive to take the chance i reckon. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:05 am 

That should be fine,but if theres alot of snags and weed beds around on the water you chose I would up to a ten wt for stopping power.Plus how big is the average size of fish for that water you will be targeting.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:53 pm 

One of the waters holds a good head of wild Carp which grow to about 10lb and the other is more of a stocked pool where they are probably no bigger than in the teens.

I was hoping to use the same rod to cover a few different styles of fly fishing which is why I opted for an #8 weight. If I need to step up the weight I will do but I might just see how it goes for the time being.

Lance

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:01 pm 

i used 7 and 8wts for stopping carp into the 20's mate prefered the 8wt i must admit though and 8 is adaquate

We are born = We SWFF = We die and so goes on the circle of life.......

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:01 pm 

Cheers for the above reply, was you using a Trout #8 or a saltwater #8 weight rod? I'm sure the G-TEC should be okay for now and it should do me the odd time I visit the coast, if I need to i will upgrade to a saltwater #8.

Lance

Profile E-mail