UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 4:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: A Taste For Rabbit
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:47 pm 

Is there any finer place to be than on the banks of a southern chalk stream on a glorious spring day?
The on-going drought meant that the river level was at its lowest since the great drought of 1976 and searching out deeper water and any convenient 'pike holes' was the order of the day. Simon(Bassfly) placed his trust in a concoction of fur and feather which delivered a 20lb pike during our final session of last season while I opted for a very simple creation of a 6" black zonker strip tied on a size 2 hook with a black fritz body.
3rd cast and the 'fritz bunny' was savagely taken but the protagonist turned out to be a 4.5lb brown trout. This proved to be a theme for the day, with several large trout falling for our flies.
An hour before lunch, just as the sun began to burn through the thin cloud, the pike suddenly sprang into action, with three fish taking the fritz bunny in a 40 minute spell. The first two (small) fish were safely landed but the third escaped after a short struggle. This fish took the fly as I was lifting the line to cast and aerialised itself as it smashed into the fly, meaning that I was unable to strike. I could feel that the hook hold was tenuous and decided to strike in an attempt to set the hook after a few minutes of lively battle but the fly simply pulled free.
As the sun gained in height and intensity the pike switched off as suddenly as they had switched on and the remainder of our sport was provided by some very feisty brown trout.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A Taste For Rabbit
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:38 am 

Hi Colin the photos make me :mrgreen: as i have yet to catch a pike on the fly, good trout also. :D
Cheers Ray.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:33 pm 

Yet again I am subjected to a barrage of FOMO inducing pics of happy anglers and their quarry <grumblemumble> :wink:

Well done chaps! One day..... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:58 pm 

It was a top day out again chaps.The only down side was those bloody reeds that are just behind you,trees,foiliage.Bring on the open sea.
I really cant believe that im moaning about this.....pathetic little man i am!
See you in a few weeks Bass.
Cheers
Simon.

Profile E-mail