UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: north down
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:20 pm 

Hi everyone.

I been looking around the site for a while and decided to join. Is there anyone who fishes strangford lough? I been trying it for a few years now with moderate success at sea trout and mullet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:41 pm 

Doc, welcome to UKSWFF!! :D I can`t be of any help regarding the area though :wink:

Cheers,
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

Same as that doc...welcome to the forum! Know nothing of the area, but I'm pretty sure someone will be along soon who does.

http://www.ukswff.co.uk

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:54 pm 

great. would be good to hear from a few others who SWFF
the county down coast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:36 pm 

I would love to give you some good local advice Doc but unfortunately I'm a bit crap at this old SWFF lark. :oops: Give me another few years and then I might be of some use. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:23 am 
Hi Doc. I fish in and round Belfast lough + Strangford & on down the cost a bit. Again not very good at this swffing lark but geting there :) Will be out over the next week or so after mackrel. As you say seatrout and mullet are the mane target in Strangford and maybe a very occasional bass on down the cost a bit. Know one or two spot,s wich are ok for the odd pollack & coalfish. PM me if I can be of any more help. Tom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:29 am 
That go,s for Jonny to!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:34 pm 

how bout me!

"never test the depth of the water with both feet"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:57 pm 
Come one come all!!! Let,s go swff,ing

Post subject: strangford
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:28 pm 

Brings back a few memories for me fished the co down coast strangford Ardglass coast many times over 30 years ago whilst i was doing my tours of duty with the RAF Regiment.Good times and great area to fish caught many not on the fly then just bait fishing.

Ned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:47 am 

this is great news guys. I thought I was the only person in county down mad enough to stand up to my waist in strangford. Very interesting to hear about the possibilty of a Bass Tom. I have heard the odd rumour of bass being caught on bait from beaches in the Millisle, Ballywalter areas. However, I am always wary of unsubstantiated claims. I have never hooked into one. the sea trout in Strangford can be good fun, but they can also be hard work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:28 pm 

HI tom, great to see you on here at last mate, yes guys there are a few of us out there. Should have a meet sometime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:36 pm 
Should have a meet sometime.[/quote] Come one come all and let,s go swff,ing :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:51 pm 

I think I take a rain check on that until I learn how to cast more than 3yrds. :oops: :oops: :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:26 am 

The idea of meet sounds good. I wouldn't worry about the casting issue Jonny. I'm sure we can all give you a hand. Practice makes perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:43 pm 

I've posted here in the past looking for some advice on Strangford.

I've caught plenty of seatrout up to about 1/2 lb but the bigger ones are a much harder proposition.

If you want Bass try Carlingford Lough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:58 pm 

same here nobuzz. had plenty up to about 1lb. although I have nabbed a few decent fish as well. I read an interesting thread on a different website about the bass issue. there has been bit of an ongoing debate as to whether or not there are any in Strangford. One guy on teh World sea fishing site insists he caught a 2lb fish on a spinner from Ballyhenry Bay last year. However, since very few poeple fish the lough in its upper half, it begs the question if there are any about? I guess the only way to know is to try. I have only ever hooked into sea trout myself. Sine it nows appears that there are actually a few of us Swffing it will be intersting to see if any of us can hook up and get photo evidence this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:39 pm 
I know of a few that have been taken on west side of the lough over the last lot of year,s All small fish say up to a pound or so :?: Not in any sort of number,s but.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:48 pm 

yep. I have caught fish myself in Ardmillan bay, at the back of nendrum and sketrick. I also got a nice fish last year spinning at the light house, just past Lee's wreck. I hear that some crackers have been caught at the back end of the year at Gibs island/qouile barrier. I also came across 2 guys who have some success using sand eels and bubble float. I prefer to stick to the fly when i can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:17 am 

Gibbs is my usual spot.

Theres always plenty of biggies splashing about but catching them is a different matter. Some evenings it can become a bit like Bangor Pier with all the crowds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:58 am 

I be staying away from Gibbs during the hours of daylight :wink: Have you tried it in the middle of night with a surface lure? I take it the sea trout are gathering waiting to run the river? Fish like this (probably don't need to tell you this), but they are pain in the arse. Often they have no interest in feeding. Too busy thinking about getting their legs over, so to speak. The fish in Dundrum bay are like this. However, they are not impossible to catch. Difficult yes. Impossible no? Why not try when the crowds have left? A good moonlit night about 2.30am and big cork tied to a treble. Pull her across the surface as fast as you can ,and, if your lucks in.... BANG. God just thinking about it has my pulse racing. Another possible meet guys!!!

Post subject: Re: north down
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:57 am 

just incase this thread isnt completely dead i had a brilliant day out near crawfordsburn with a total of 10 fish, coalies one very good one some pollock and 2 mackerel was amazing

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: north down
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:04 am 

I don't know about the thread being dead - the whole site is just about dead! Well done on your catch.