UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: No fish but enjoyable
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:17 am 

Went down to my local estuary last night which is a large sand flat with a small river flowing into the sea. Almost perfect conditions with small waves breaking around the sandbanks which the bass patrol to eat all the dislodged critters. I always go down at LW as this allows you to focus on some key spots. HW can be a bit daunting as its difficult to find fishy looking marks. Used a white and green clouser sparsely tied. I don't find the fashion for tying more and more elaborate fly's that important. I still find a basic, sparsely tied clouser as good as anything, a hungry patrolling bass in surf will eat anything that is retrieved quite quickly. However having said that I didn't actually catch anything but did have a couple of takes. The problem was that in my excitement to get down to the waters edge I left my fishing bag in the car so only had the one fly which after about 45 minuets of fishing in surf and a lot of green weed (that soft green stuff that looks a bit like lettuce) was wrecked. So after an hour I knocked it on the head. Also I think it was still a little to cold. But enjoyable all the same. Might go back tonight or tomorrow night for another go but will take my bag with me :roll: