UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 1:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hi guys!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:34 pm 

Hi guys. New to the forum :D

I'm off to Vancouver on the 26th February, then onto Kaua'i on 2nd March for six days to get married, then down to Kona on the big Island for another four.

So...

Got myself a little 9ft 8/9w rod and hope to do a bit of bass fishing in Kauai's lakes and some saltwater fluff chucking around Hanelai bay where we are staying. Not looked into Kona as of yet as my fiancee dad lives there...so I'll probably ask him. But any info on those two islands with regards to area will be much appreciated.

I'll take pic's and vids of the fishing and maybe get them up here sometime after 26th March when I return....maybe even get some fishing in while I'm in B.C. when we come back ;)

Thanks in advance,

Pat

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hi guys!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:01 pm 

I loved Kauai although I didn't get to fish there. Very laid back and not overrun by tourism. I think there are some bonefish options on the big island!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:04 pm 

hanks for the reply Andy.

Yeah I heard about the bonefishing...not sure if they are 'in season' so to speak. Believe the waters still pretty cold. Also heard hat the pier in Hanelai Bay isn't worth fishing until at least April. I know there are a few types of bass present in and around the island...so I my just target them. Need to get some saltwater flies...any idea of good, reliable place?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:38 pm 

If you want to get the flies before you go then try Austen at UK Saltwater Flies. Regarding the water is it EVER too cold? We were in Kauai in April and the water was just fine for swimming so I'm sure it would be OK for the bones. And they have to be there all year round - where would they go to? We used to get a guy called Stan Wright from Hawaii who posted on Jax Kayak Fishing and he would be a good source of info. Haven't seen or heard of him for quite a while but you could maybe Google him. You mentioned bass and I know he fished for peacock bass quite a lot.

Of course you could always just contact Chris about flies. I'm sure he could kit you out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

I fished Hawaii for Bones last year. They are pretty spooky and hard to spot due to the colour of the flats. However, if you hook one you will be in with a chance of a good sized Bone.

A guide will help you immensely

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:25 pm 

Hey Chris...thanks for the PM. Checked out the site and definitely be getting some off of you after I get back. Work, lack of time and improper organization on my part!

I did in fact find a little tackle shop down in Bognor Regis. The guy had a few saltwater flies in stock so I grabbed them at the bargain price of £14 for 10, and I also grabbed a few of his pike flies for the bass on Kauai.

On the way back I decided to swing into 'Sportfish' and pick up a few leaders...first guy was nice. Sorted me out with what I needed...so I take my booty and wonder around for a bit and spot this 'bargain table'. You know, 20 flies for £10....everything in this box £1. (Remember that last bit).

So I grab these two flies for a £1 each, take my stuff up to the counter. Guy with the glasses and shirt (YOU know who you are), rings up my stuff and I notice he's about £8-£10 over. I say nothing because when he was putting the 'bargains' through he gave me a look...I paid him what he range up, yes, including the extra charge. My bargains have now cost me £3.95 each as opposed to £2 for the pair...So he opens the till...gives me my change and then tried to SCREW up my receipt so I can't check it...so what, I'm the only guy in there in trainers, jeans, t-shirt and tattoos...I'm not stupid mate.

Suffice to say I bluntly asked for my receipt and left.

What this guy doesn't know is that I travel to BC 3-5 time every year for my girl, the steak and the fly fishing...and by March 2nd I'll be in Kauai while he's still ripping of mugs like me!

Sportfish, you just lost a customer.

Anyway, probably won't have time to get back on here as I leave for Vancouver at 18.25 tomorrow. If I catch I'll post some pics...if I don't I'll write a boring article about how not to do it on the Garden Island!

Peace out and happy fluffing,

Pat

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:12 pm 

**UPDATE**

I just checked my receipt:

I brought 4x Scientific Angler Bonefish Leaders @£2.89 each...says so on the back of the packet...the guy charged me £3.99 each.

And those BARGAIN £1 flies he actually charged me £4.85!!!!

A lesson to be learned. Check you receipt before you leave the shop.

....guess I'm going back to Theale tomorrow X(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:50 am 

OOh, some folks have a lucky ticket!

I can't believe how blatant Sportfish are - they are also the dearest place on th eplanet. They charge full RRP on everything. You are better going to Oz at saltwaterflies, he does pike tying stuff too, and some pike flies.

Link - you'll be impressed by his website, service and prices. http://www.uksaltwaterflies.com

Congratulations on your marriage too. This is where the fishing stops and the DIY begins!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:58 pm 

Hi Lads...back in blighty...wedding was fantastic. I'm a lucky man lol

No reply from Sportfish :shock:

Didn't catch...but I did get two takes in Hanalei and one in Kona. Not to worry though..my father inlaw lives in Kona so I guess I'll get my chance one day. Have some 'in action' photos taken by the wife :D

Let me know if anyone is interested in them and I'll try and work out how to upload them.

...and Chris...I shall be ordering some of your flies...fricking things I bought here fell apart!!!!! Saltwater flies my ASS!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like you got the Bone bug :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:05 pm 

Hey Chris....I just have the saltwater bug lol. Gonna be looking to do a lil bit around the south coast before I imigrate to Canada...I just can't believe I didn't try this before.

I've alway enjoyed my time spent fishing, not necessarily catching, although as a carp and barbel angler I rarely blanked. But when swff....catching is meanless and a fish is but a bonus. *sigh*

Profile E-mail