UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:23 pm 

Hi all my names Chris am totally new to SWFF or infact any FF :oops: so will be searching the forum for all the answers I need then asking you guys to point me in the right direction. Have Pike fished with jerkbaits and lures for years so naturally will be trying pike on the fly also. Recently got a Scierra Blue Water 9ft #10 and Pflueger Trion 1912 off ebay which I don't know is right for what I need but has started a tackle buying bug 8)

So Hi all and brace yourselves for the " I need advice please questions that will follow"

Chris

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hi
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:26 pm 
Site Admin

hi Chris,
Welcome aboard! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:28 pm 

exactly where I started from just a few years ago! There's no going back....fly fishing will consume virtually all your angling energy from now on!

Regarding tackle, the 10wt can certainly get you started but you'll probably find it is a bit too heavy for UK saltwater flyfishing. For Pike though...there are some lakes that won't let you fish with anything less than a 10wt (I think that's overkill, personally 'cos you can land huge fish on an 8wt!) but if you're into big pike, it'll be worth keeping it. Look to get an 8wt as the best all-rounder for swff (There will be huge amounts of conflicting recommendations over which rod to get no doubt, but that's half the fun of it! :mrgreen: ). Saltwater model 8wt, saltwater proof/resistant large arbor reel, floating line and a stripping basket. That's the absolute basics....let the addiction begin! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:29 pm 

Tackle update: Have sold the scierra and trion back on ebay :D and got myself an Orvis Zero Gravity 908-4 and Orvis Battenkill LA V both from USA so got the shine knocked off both deals by the value added plus handling charges :shock: at least Dick Turpin wore a mask lol. Backed reel with 300yds of tuffline followed by a Rio Outbound WF #8 , leaders Airflo tapered , tippets Rio Saltwater & some frog hair flurocarbon. So getting there now.
Must add that Stacia Siroonian from Bob Marriotts flyfishing store did a great job, I paid for the reel on a Friday I was putting the backing on mid day the Following Monday !!

Chris.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:41 pm 

Nice. Shame bout the duty etc - it's a bit of a lottery that. I had loads of kit from the US, and I reckon at least half of it has come through without a sniff of extra taxes etc so it's definitely worth doing - and you've still got some great kit there! Time to put it to use now methinks! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:28 am 

chris chandler wrote:
Bob Marriotts flyfishing store

A "must visit" whenever I'm in Orange County which is usually 3-4 times a year! Welcome aboard.....