UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Night fishing
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:42 am 

I've just returned from holiday in South Africa on the Garden Route and did a fair bit of fishing but mostly with bait and spinning with lures. I did do some fly fishing but with limited success, ironically the only fish I caught was a small leerfish on my Tenkara rod which is what I had least expected. While out there I bought a book on saltwater fly fishing in South Africa which proved to be an absolute mine of useful information. Obviously the target species are different from those in UK waters but the principles laid out in the book as to how best to tackle the various environments- estuary,open beach and rock marks-would hold true anywhere.

One piece of the book that really grabbed my attention was how much more productive the author found it to fish at night,with fish coming in very close to the shore and being far less cautious and thus eager to take a fly. Obviously we all know that bait fishing at night from beaches vastly increases the chance of hooking up bass, ray, sole and the like but I'd never really considered it for fly fishing. I suppose there are challenges with managing the line and getting in a mess in windy conditions but it's something I'm going to spend more time on and I was wondering if members on here have any views on night fishing.

One interesting caveat in the book was that wading at night in the very productive estuaries along the coastline above Durban and towards the Mozambique border would lead to the possibility of sharing the water with crocs, hippos and bull sharks, the latter readily coming in to fairly shallow water and having a bad reputation for attacks on humans. At least all we have to worry about is a bit of soft mud!

Profile E-mail