UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stowing a fly rod on a Kayak
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:07 am 

Ive bought a second hand perception triumph13 kayak- mainly for fun with the family :wink: but also for fly fishing around Chi harbour.
I'm looking for advice on stowing the fly rod - I dont want to add loads of rod holders or strap loads of pipework to the front.
The boat is setup with one rod holder (ball and socket type) that the previous owner fitted. Which is fine for my small spinning rod. But scratching my head on how to safely attach the fly rod, I'd like it along side pointing forward if i can??
Any advice and or photos would be gratefully received.

Thank you!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Stowing a fly rod on a Kayak
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:16 am 

Stick it in the paddle keep bungie. Either that, or make a bungie strap across the bow that you can poke the tip under and have the reel between your legs. The ball on the bungie simply opens the cord up a bit to allow the tip to be poked under more easily. I also stow my paddle under then when fishing.

Alternative, stick the rod out the stern,under the cargo well bungies - look at my spare rod poking out the back.

Rod and paddle both tucked under while I mess with the drogue.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:18 pm 

Hi Cliff,

I use the cannon or holder that came with my kayak (OK Trident 13). It's a twist lock style, so putting the rod in upside down with the reel up it works - may work with what yours has?. Otherwise, down in the hull for longer journeys.

Cheers,
Greg

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:16 pm 

Thanks Guys!
I like the simple ball on the bungie idea. Frustratingly, I saw one a while ago that was very similar - the rod was in the paddle keeper with a loop or hoop on the front to put the rod tip into; but typically cannot remember where I saw it. That was before I thought about getting another kayak, so didn't pay that much attention to it. Must admit I didn't want to get out of it at the weekend, I'd forgotten how much fun it was. I had an old glass sea Kayak and a drop line back in the late 1980's.

I'll keep you posted and if I come up with anything better I'll let you know - Thanks again!

I'll fish mainly in Chi harbour or along the Hayling or Wittering sea fronts - so if you see me come over and say hello ( blue and white triumph 13). But the idea is to fish other locations along the south coast between Dorset and East Sussex. I like the idea of fishing spots that are not accessible on foot. Coves, inlets and rivers.

Tight Lines!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:44 pm 

Found the perfect solution on - the rod holder is exactly what I have (RAM) so I did more or less the same modification and it works a treat. I know it's a bit of a swap around but the fly rod is worth a lot more than the spinning rod. So the spinning rod is now in the paddle keeper with the tip in a loop on the bow.

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/RAM-119SW-Fly-Fishing.html

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/RAM-119S ... shing.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:23 pm 

Cliff, just beware that any rod holder is suspect when launching, especially when it's a bit choppy. one capsize while launching will show you what i mean.... :roll: i learned the hard way! :lol:

simon's system is much simpler and, like most things in swff and kayak fishing, safer too. my rod holders only get used when i'm actually out fishing. unless i'm launching in a flat calm....

how these guys with multiple rod holders sprouting all over their boats get on is beyond me? either their surf launching is perfect every time or they can afford a lot of new rods! :wink:

you've obviously got plenty of experience as a kayaker, which is the main thing. enjoy!

dave

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:02 am 

Thank you and a good point Dave-I hadn't even thought about a capsize.

Where can I get some nice sharp bull bars for the kayak? The local rib owners obviously have a competition on who can get the closest without hitting you. TOSSERS!
On a good note-You can get some good wave riding off the back of those big gin palaces that come through Chi harbour. :D

Cliff.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:56 pm 

The rib owners, the guys on those fast hydrofoil yacht things, the general sailors, in fact, I think us kayakers must be invisible to other water users! The worst is when the power boats hit the gas at eastoke where the speed limit ends and catch you without time to turn into the wash...

Having much luck with the Bass from the yak?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:07 pm 

The hydrofoil boats are International Moths, very light (mostly carbon) and scarily fast. Haven't done a lot of fishing at all this year, the kids have used it more than i have. But its family fun week at the sailing club this week, so hoping to get a few early mornings and evening swff sessions in while we're there. Tides are perfect, just have to see if the weather is kind to me. :)

Profile E-mail