UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Advise please
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:05 pm 

Hi all just joined swff and could do with a bit of advise?,
I am a keen mullet angler (obsessed) may be a better way to put it i have been fishing for mullet the conventional way over the past 3 years or so bottom feeding and surface feeding with good success last season 200 + fish. Iv have been using light feeder rods and float rod with 6lb main line and 4 lb hook lengths.The sport as been awesome to say the least , remembering those long dogged fights are just about getting me through the cold winter months.To be honest i did think about attaching a line to my dogs harnes and throwing a ball down the garden just to hear the ratchet sing on my reel.
well to cut a long story short the more Iv got into it and the lighter Iv been fishing, the more Iv been thinking of trying to catch them on the fly. Like any moden day angler I started looking on the web and came across swff and thought ideal there are others out just like me lol !
I have no experience in fly fishing what so ever the rod I'm thinking of buying is a greys grxi +. # 7 9ft ? the reel is a scierra xdp+ #7/9 ? from what Iv read, floating line is the best ? Also what flys are good apart from bread fly ? please feel free to send any advice as will be much appreciated.
Thanks for takeing the time read and hope u can help
Regards Dave

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Advise please
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:10 am 

You should get in touch with Soldier Palmer....he is THE mullet man!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:22 pm 

Dave,

You can see a pic of some of the flies Colin uses in this thread:

http://www.ukswff.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5149&p=28869#p28869

Might be worth saying in what area(s) you mostly fish and what sort of locations, e.g. estuary, mudflats etc. The mullet-master might be able to advise you better then!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:05 pm 

Thanks for that I shall look him up the link was usefull allso
Regards
Dave

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:47 pm 

I all so live in Plymouth and fish mudflat and estuarys in the tamar/yelm/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:38 pm 

Last cast wrote:
I all so live in Plymouth and fish mudflat and estuarys in the tamar/yelm/

Well Dave, you certainly live in an ideal part of the country to chase mullet. You no doubt have a good knowledge of mullet marks and the fish themselves through your experience to date. Probably the main difference between fishing for ghosts with bait and on the fly is the depth of water in which you will concentrate your efforts. In very simple terms, thicks are best targeted at the mouths of estuaries from low tide up. Shoals will appear shortly after the tide turns and starts to flood. They will seek areas of current where living and dead organisms are abundant, whether in the estuary's main flow or on the surrounding flats. Once you have located a feeding shoal simply dead drift the flies towards them on the current. Use only a floating line and un-weighted flies for this approach, as the fish will be feeding in water between six and eighteen inches in depth. The Ghost Buster was developed to tempt mullet feeding in water less than eight inches in depth over a bed of annoying, hook-snagging weed and is therefore a buoyant pattern. By chance, it also accounts for mullet under a wide variety of conditions.
Equally potent in seducing mullet is the red headed diawl bach, concocted by 'Welsh Toffo', a member of this forum. The 'flexi-shrimp' is a less productive pattern in terms of numbers but is supreme in taking large, specimen fish. The 'Corophium' represents Corophium volutator, the mud shrimp, and is deadly for thin lips when feeding on these mud dwelling crustaceans. Again the action takes place in water only inches deep as the tide slowly reclaims the mud flats. The trio are pictured below...
Golden greys love a flexi-floss blood worm, as do any passing sea trout or bass.
This season I have fished with Grand max soft plus for my leader material (10.4lb b/s) and is in a word superb. For the dead-drift technique described I use a ten feet leader with a dropper tied four feet up from the point fly. A deadly combination is a Ghost Buster on the point with a diawl bach on the dropper. Reverse the fly positions in slightly deeper water or where a strong current exists.
The following article provides more information on the different mullet species and how to fish for them. I wish you all the best with your challenge and look forward to reading your catch reports :D

http://eat-sleep-fish.co.uk/content/201 ... h-bonefish

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:05 am 

all points noted here :mrgreen:
another nice post Colin, really appreciated 8)
can wait to target these fish

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:16 pm 

Forgot to mention.....Selectafly now offer bass and mullet selections within their Pro Range......http://www.selectafly.com/saltwater-578-c.asp

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:10 pm 

Just like to say thanks for the info u have all have passed on aspecialy soldier pamler its been a great help and reading your articals has gave me lots to think about. I picked up my rod and reel today and ordered some flies on line. "I make it", Iv got about 6-8 weeks to put some sort of cast together. Iv been watching loads of utube videos and can't wait to get a hook in stuck in my face! Ill hopefully put up a catch report in the not too distant future !!

Profile E-mail