UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: British Bonefish
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:07 pm 

Hi all.
Has anyone had the fortune of catching both Bonefish abroad and Mullet at home on the fly?
I am interested in how the fight of a decent Mullet, say 6lb in weight, compares with a similarly sized Bone. I'm guessing fairly comparable, hence the Mullet's nick name of 'British Bonefish'
Cheers
Colin.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: British Bonefish
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:09 pm 

I'm afraid that there is little to compare in the fight :( The Bonefish is in a different league.

Most people catch Mullet on the fly with fairly light tippets, so don't apply much pressure to the running fish. Fight a 5lb Mullet with the same pressure that you applied to the 5lb Bonefish (on standard Bonefish tackle) and the Mullet would be skipping accross the surface towards you.

I'm not saying that Mullet don't fight - on the right tackle they're excellent fun.

I suppose they are a similar colour :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:48 pm 

Thanks for your thoughts Spill. Kind of what I expected. However, I posted the same question on another forum and got a reply from someone who grew up fishing forBonefish but now lives in Europe. In his opinion Mullet offer the more challenging fight. Looks like the jury is still out on this one :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:26 pm 

i have to say not long before i started fly fishing i got one on a spinning rod with bread, capable of tossing bass plugs. i had to run from river to sea and back up river with it again :shock: . now doing fly fishing only i aint caught one, but i assure it will be some fight :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:28 pm 

Yes, I just posted on FFF :D

I agree that they could be as challenging in the fight - or even more challenging depending on the terrain, but only with lighter tackle. Lighter tackle is the important bit.

The first Bonefish I hooked was a shock - made me think that something much bigger was on the end of the line - definitely worth experiencing at some point :D

On the same tackle - I am 100% certain that Bonefish are a great deal faster and stronger.

I do think that Mullet are more challenging to hook.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:15 pm 

I think you've convinced me spill. Looks like a Bonefishing trip is on the cards.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:42 pm 

Mullet fight hard, and long but the colder water means they cannot compare to the bones. A 6lb mullet won't take 75 yards off an #8 in one go....a bonefish will, several times. Mullet go well on #5 or #6 tackle. I have caught them, with Berlin, and they are worth going for, no doubt.

What I am hoping to get this spring is some of the European tarpon......report back if an dwhen it happens. The attempt will, the result is in doubt!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:10 pm 

Herring?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:19 pm 

I've had neither, but aim to catch both this year! Just booked a fortnight in Cuba (family holiday you understand....the destination was in no way influenced by the tremendous swffing opportunities not 50 yards from the hotel room.. :roll: ) so bones are naturally on the agenda. Haven't got a bloody clue where to start, but hey...(much the same as mullet fishing over here really....! :mrgreen: )

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:36 pm 

Tailing Loop wrote:
Mullet fight hard, and long but the colder water means they cannot compare to the bones. A 6lb mullet won't take 75 yards off an #8 in one go....a bonefish will, several times. Mullet go well on #5 or #6 tackle. I have caught them, with Berlin, and they are worth going for, no doubt.

What I am hoping to get this spring is some of the European tarpon......report back if an dwhen it happens. The attempt will, the result is in doubt!

Hayling Island must benefit from the effects of the Gulf Stream then, as the 2lb Golden Grey I caught there in April took repeated runs of 100m+ dragging my 9wt(shamed to admit)line with it and putting a serious bend in my 8wt rod. See pics below, courtesy of choccy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:50 pm 

yes Colin....I shall be expecting some instruction in this mysterious art this year! :D (after I've tied up some red-tags of course!)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:13 am 

On the other end of the scale.....

My best mullet of 2009 was 4lb 10oz - it took at most 3yds off my #7wt with 6lb copolymer tippet - I was trying to stop it reaching snags. It was landed in less than 3 minutes.

The strongest fight I've had from a Mullet was a couple of years ago: I hooked a 4lber in the tail whilst Bass fishing. I was actually using gear that I've used for Bonefish. The tail-hooked Mullet took about 15yds off my #8wt with 12lb tippet and was landed in about 2 minutes - still wasn't as strong as a 3lb mouth-hooked Bonefish.

I am almost tempted to bring my Mullet gear on a Bonefish trip this year as an experement, but I'm sure that any Bone would snap 6lb tippet just with the drag of the line. If it didn't, I've only got 100yds of backing on my Mullet reel.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:21 am 

Maybe some people put more pressure on fish than others..... :wink:

Nice golden though. I know exactky where you were too and never thought that one of those might be encountered. Even spent a load of money of fuel to go to south wales in search of one in the surf to no avail, and there they are half the distance away! Was it a red tag as suggested by a following post? Thye work well for the usual mullet of thick lips.

I also fancy another go at a gilthead this spring....guess where you will find me in April. Other than on the smoothounds.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:14 pm 

Hi TL. The GG in the photo was caught on a sparse DNA Clouser, olive over white, size 4 hook. It was the second GG that day on the same fly. Choccy nailed one in between times on a Red Tag.
You mention chasing GG's in the surf, this is without doubt the best place to find them on sandy or sand/mud beach. Sometimes Thick Lips will join them and adopt the same feeding pattern. By far the most successful fly for GG's, in my experience, is a red flexi-floss Blood worm. I normally pair this up with a tan coloured Czech Nymph on the dropper, with external gold tinsel body wrap. Strange thing is that when the the two types of Mullet are feeding together in the surf, the GG's take the blood worm and TL's take the Czech Nymph. These fish range from 1 to 3lb in weight (larger Mullet feed in a different area).
When conditions are right, several fish can be caught in a one hour window. My best hour last season resulted in 3 fish landed and another 20 - 30 hooked and lost (typically by fish leaping vertically from the shallow water and throwing the hook - great fun all the same).
Here's a pic of a surf caught GG and TL with the flies mentioned just about visible.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:21 pm 

Nice fishing Colin :D

We don't get the GGs round here - just TLG. Do the GGs jump more, as I rarely get a jump from a TLG?

Sounds like great sport.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:44 pm 

spill wrote:
Nice fishing Colin :D

We don't get the GGs round here - just TLG. Do the GGs jump more, as I rarely get a jump from a TLG?

Sounds like great sport.

The GG'S have a real tendency to become airborne immediately on being hooked in shallow water. By shallow I mean 6 inches to a foot deep. I have stalked GG's at Hayling Island in 6" deep water, where the fish were swimming around the legs of bathers. The Mullet were completely unfazed by kids running into the water, guess they must be used to humans , making it easier to stalk them. I have had the same experience in Spain when hooking Flat Head Mullet in very shallow water. The leap is very powerful and almost always throws the hook. Its quite rare for them to jump when hooked in water more than a couple of feet deep, instead they tend to take off on a long run.
As you say, Mullet offer fantastic sport and in reality I've only scratched the surface. I have a few techniques and new approaches in mind for this season that I'm dying to try out. Spring can't come soon enough.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:54 pm 

Hopefully I will get the chance to give the Goldens a go one day :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:33 pm 

I am fairly sure a few GG's turned up on the Shannon last year. I remember some guys caught them spinning for Bass. I'll have to see what info I can find. Nice pics mate and cracking fish.

Thanks for the info on your successful flies for GG's also :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:18 am 

SP, Some great pic's, Yes have to say they do fight very well. my PB is 6LB 15oz and did fight like a mad thing,

We are very lucky in my area, as we have all the mullet GG, TLM and thin L M. and there is a beach not far from me were you can catch 20/30 GG in a tide great fun on a 5/6# rod.

Joe, will take you down there this season.

Dai. :wink:

http://daijonesflies.blogspot.co.uk/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:47 am 

yes please!!! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:21 pm 

daijones wrote:
and there is a beach not far from me were you can catch 20/30 GG in a tide great fun on a 5/6# rod.

Does it begin with "R" Dai? :P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:00 pm 

daijones wrote:
SP, Some great pic's, Yes have to say they do fight very well. my PB is 6LB 15oz and did fight like a mad thing,

We are very lucky in my area, as we have all the mullet GG, TLM and thin L M. and there is a beach not far from me were you can catch 20/30 GG in a tide great fun on a 5/6# rod.

Joe, will take you down there this season.

Dai. :wink:

Sounds great Dai. I hope that I can get up to that level of sport one day. You must be cream crackered after one of those sessions. I've not tried for the Thin Lips yet but there are large shoals present in summer just a few miles from where I live, so I will hope to make their acquaintance then.
6wt outfit ordered and due for delivery Wednesday, enough Mullet flies tied to last me two life times, April cannot come soon enough.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:06 pm 

Thanks for those fly tips S.P. and the GG tips from South Wales. What flies work down there Dai? I have gone down a couple of times after them in the surf, but didn't even get a pull. There were fish present though, you could see them every now and then.

Would like to get a Golden - the #6 comes out to play for the mullet! Thick lips are Ok, but these Goldens sound as though they are twice the fish.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:09 pm 

why have you got to go to 6weight for thins .sport or finnes ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:07 pm 

gurglerchucker wrote:
why have you got to go to 6weight for thins .sport or finnes ?

delicate presentation, mullet dont like rio shooting heads landing on top of them :lol: