UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: British Bonefish
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:23 pm 

stevie mate, i have to say that maybe down in the southwest the fish are indeed different then, i have fihed them on 8wt outbounds and landed a fly within a couple of inches of the nose and they havent batted an eye lid to it.
with the surf fishing the golden geys they are less frustrating down here. thouh in close quaters in the estuaries they are fishing well with 5-9wt rods the only difference is tht the lower weights allow a longer more sustained run from them.
i see there is a trend through going lighter and lighter for them at present.
when i get home in july i will indeed be fishing for them on a 6wt DT line to see if this makes amakred improvment through out a season on the catch front to see what happens.

We are born = We SWFF = We die and so goes on the circle of life.......

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:34 pm 

I too have a new 6wt outfit, ready to exorcise a few ghosts when they return :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:41 pm 

I have been lucky to catch both on the fly the fight from each is totally different, mullet go well that's true . But the first bone I hooked went like stink, I was truly shocked that a fish of around two pounds could be so game well I say around two pounds because when I got it to about a rod and a halfs length away a barracuda smashed into it welcome to the cocos peninsula

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:30 pm 

Hi Chezz. I'm glad to say that I have now had the pleasure of catching both species. Many of the Mullet I have hooked in shallow water in the UK have accelerated away every bit as quick as a Cuban bone and for a similar distance. The fight which follows the initial runs is the main difference between the fish. A 5lb bonefish comes to hand within four to five minutes whereas a Mullet of similar size will fight courageously for twenty. However, this comparison is based on the Mullet being played on a low drag setting while the bonefish were played with the reel set at a specific tension by the guide, specifically 8 'clicks' on the drag.
When fishing for Mullet next season I will set the drag to 8 clicks and gain an accurate comparison of fighting ability between the two species.
I had several experiences similar to your own with Barracuda, nicking Jacks and Snappers just as they approached the skiff.
The speed at which they attack is incredible.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:44 am 

Mike,
where do you get GGs around Plymouth? I saw a few caught when flounder fishing at Palm Rock in the winter, typically November, December, January. But those are the only ones I saw caught in the area. Maybe a long stretch of sandy beach to the west? Or a sandy estuary to the east? I have ot admit, I have never bothered targetting the mullet in Plymouth, not since schoolboy days of getting them off the OLD fishquay on the Barbican, where Capn. Jaspers is now (or was last time I was there!) The very corner of the Customs House creek, the filleting tables were there and the muller could be caught on tiny scraps of fish flesh taken off a filleted skeleton and fished deep, nearly on the bottom, using a crow or seagull quill for a float, home made floats of course!

I really would love to get some mullet this year. I might waste my early fishing opportunites going for them. Any in West Wales that people know about? I go for turbot each spring, and do well. I had 6 one year, in the one tide. 2 keepers at 3lb 12oz and a good one at 5lb 4oz, but they were on bait! Last year we had a few from the same pleace too, not as big, but again a brace to keep at 2.5lbs apiece. This is from the long, sandy beach that runs from Barmouth all the way down to Aberystwyth. There is good surf on much of it, so I wondered if they would be present. I have to say, I have never seen anymullet, or bass come to that. There SHOULD be bass there, but in 10 years or so of going I have never seen one caught.

Mullet are definitely on my agenda this year though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:06 pm 

There's good numbers of GG's down on the surf beaches of the Gower in South Wales - one of my target species for this year! (with the bonus of bass and flounder on the sames beaches).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:03 pm 

Tailing Loop wrote:

I really would love to get some mullet this year. I might waste my early fishing opportunites going for them. Any in West Wales that people know about? I go for turbot each spring, and do well. I had 6 one year, in the one tide. 2 keepers at 3lb 12oz and a good one at 5lb 4oz, but they were on bait! Last year we had a few from the same pleace too, not as big, but again a brace to keep at 2.5lbs apiece. This is from the long, sandy beach that runs from Barmouth all the way down to Aberystwyth. There is good surf on much of it, so I wondered if they would be present. I have to say, I have never seen anymullet, or bass come to that. There SHOULD be bass there, but in 10 years or so of going I have never seen one caught.

Mullet are definitely on my agenda this year though.

They do get GG's from the same beach as you get your turbot Simon, So I've been told. The only reason you havn't had Bass there is choice of bait. Mackerel fillet (Turbot bait) is very poor for Bass up here. Get some maddies and head up there in August/Sept and there's a chance of both, though the bass will probably be a bit on the very small side.
Now that's a challenge, Golden Grey's, Bass and Turbot on the fly in a day (and maybe even a flounder)! :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:45 pm 

I'll be over to see you soon enough Stuart. Armed with the usual heavy artillery, of course, and a #8 for wasting time between baits. :mrgreen:

Maybe later in the year would be worth a go. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:54 pm 

This time last week I was casting flies in the Las Salinas reserve in Cuba. This was my first ever bonefishing trip. I have never caught a mullet on the fly so I have nothing to compare but if they fight as hard as bonefish I am off down the coast tomorrow! I was fortunate to catch 6 bonefish. The biggest was a tad under 4lb. The fight was frightening. It removed all of the flyline and a fair portion of the backing at a speed that I would not have thought possible. Only when the guide followed it in the boat was a semblance of control established. This was a fishing 'life changing' experience. I have heard of the addictive nature of bonefishing and now I fully understand why. My only worry is that all other fish will now be a disappointment in the fighting stakes. I bought a tropical fly line and tied a collection of suitable flies for this trip so I must go again to get my money's worth out of the new gear!

Steve

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

blueflyingtonight wrote:
This time last week I was casting flies in the Las Salinas reserve in Cuba. This was my first ever bonefishing trip. I have never caught a mullet on the fly so I have nothing to compare but if they fight as hard as bonefish I am off down the coast tomorrow! I was fortunate to catch 6 bonefish. The biggest was a tad under 4lb. The fight was frightening. It removed all of the flyline and a fair portion of the backing at a speed that I would not have thought possible. Only when the guide followed it in the boat was a semblance of control established. This was a fishing 'life changing' experience. I have heard of the addictive nature of bonefishing and now I fully understand why. My only worry is that all other fish will now be a disappointment in the fighting stakes. I bought a tropical fly line and tied a collection of suitable flies for this trip so I must go again to get my money's worth out of the new gear!

Steve

Hi Steve,
Those Bones are good when you hook them, and the UK will appear tame! What next then? A Permit? A Tarpon? The possibilities are endless!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:04 pm 

Steve, fishing for Bones is simply amazing and utterly enoyable but the only 'life changing' experience I have encountered in fly fishing was connecting with my first TL Mullet. Compared to the brown/rainbow trout and Bass I had caught prior to that moment, my first Thick Lipped Mullet took fly fishing excitement to a new level. Bit like a pre-cursor to bonefishing.
Wading the flats, sightfishing for bonefish in Cuba is very similar to wading the flats, sight fishing for Mullet in the UK.
The water may be a touch cooler and the fish a touch larger but when a Mullet consumes your shrimp imitation in shallow water and legs it, you'd better have more backing on your reel than a certain Mr Green.
Try it. You will not be disappointed.

Profile E-mail