UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Turbot.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:42 pm 

YOU CAN GET TURBOT AS WELL AS GOOD BASS ON THE BEACHES ON & AROUND SHELL ISLAND ,GOOD EASY WADING TOO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:59 pm 

That's worth knowing - thanks for the heads up. I have only been to Shell once. It was a wasted effort after tope from the kayak. Caught very little at all. Had a few small schoolies from the entrance, that was all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:15 am 

hi, if you get on the island ,go around the left hand side ,you will see lots of weedy rocks which are covered at high tide ,fish on the sand side where it meets or fish a crease fly/popper over the rocky ares ,hope this helps cheers, pete

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:12 pm 

Did you get a chance to go this w/e? Would be interested to know if you caught and if so what method. Sinking line, short leader and booby/ clouser. If I cam manage it might take a look later this week.

J

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:42 am 

Stiff northerly and brown soup! Didn't even get the rod out of the car....just gave the dog a walk along the beach. 340 miles round trip to give the dog a walk. :roll: Went kayaking yesterday instead.....got the cobwebs blown away and a bit of a training paddle in. 5.8 miles at an average of 3.8 knots, which included into a very stiff breeze and then back again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:29 pm 

sorry you had such a long drive for little result...if it's any comfort I had a couple of hours on the thames for one small jack so no great shakes either.

still got my imagination going on this turbot on a fly idea. will now tie some clouser/booby hybrids and wait for calmer times.

br,

J

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:28 pm 

Not hybrids! One of each...clouser (but tied with marabou) and booby style...one on the bottom, one washing about 1 foot up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:30 pm 

will they tangle on the cast ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:57 pm 

Nope...because the clouser goes on a SHORT dropper - just a couple of inches off the main trace and the smaller fly is lighter, so they stay apart (provided you don't tailing loop or try to cast too small a loop.)

You don't need to cast far for this game, the fish are close. 20 yards is ample - more if you can reliably do it, but it is a matter of cast and move. Fan cast around you, then move 5 paces and do it again, move fan cast.....cover the ground, put the fly in front of as many fish as possible. As you can't see them or know where they are, just guess at where they MIGHT be.....cover the ground to up your chances.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:10 pm 

Can anyone interested in this as a meet get in touch BY TELLING BONE please. The numbers are on my website (see bottom of page).

I'll get a list formulated and then keep each of those interested informed of sea state and clarity and when the fish start showing in numbers - there are a few there now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:54 pm 

anytime in aprill would do me i will look forward to it keep me informed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:16 am 

WE ARE GO!

This coming weekend - April 24/25 there are two possibilities. Either West Wales for the turbot, or, as a fallback, lake coast for flounders and MULLET - the are there NOW. I had a pull on Saturday when I went prospecting and kayaking.

So, please phone me as I shall be away all week and no internet. DO NOT PM, as I won't get it...PHONE. Numbers are on my website kayakuk dot com (NO, I am not posting them on an open forum!)

Thanks folks - we'll get somethign somwhere.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:42 am 

Where's the 'lake coast'? (pardon my ignorance!)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:00 pm 

This weekend looks perfect! LW at 11.30, so we can start fishing properly by 10.00 - then right through the first 4 hours of the flood, roughly from 12.00 - 16.00. Perfect! The weather is also looking ideal.

The lake coast is Cumbria, where the lakes are....the Lake District is in Cumbria, even a Cornishman like me, knows the lake coast is there. :mrgreen:

I saw some huge flounders the other day on a kayak trip....beautifully clear water (certainly could see the bottom in 6 feet of water, so for an estuary, that is pretty good!) There were mullet there in some numbers too. It is sheltered, but less easy than the West Wales mark - which is my preference, there should also be some bass about in the surf.

I haven't made my mind up totally, but provided the weather remains settled and the wind doesn't do anything horrible, I shall be going for the turbot. If the wind upsets the plan, then I shall go for those huge flounders as a fall back option.

Now, got to tie me a few flounder flies and modify my turbot ones, just a tweek - the boobies I tied sink and that is no good at all!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:59 pm 

Ah. West wales....2+hrs.....lake district 4+hrs....think I'll give the lakes coast a miss (I thought that's where it was, but given the distance away, was hoping there was another lakes coast I wasn't previously aware of! :mrgreen: ). Have to see if I can fit this in time-wise given the journey time but veeeery tempting. I largely suspect my fate lies in the hands of Mrs.Polite..... :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:03 am 

I can book beds in the Borth YHA - right on the seafront! 2 miles from the venue. Weather looking absolutely spot on, tides are right too - so I will be giving the turbot a bash! :mrgreen:

If anyone is coming (it is 3+ hours for me!), let me know if you want beds booking - it is about £17 with breakfast!.

I shall take my bait rod too, just to give confidence that they are there....it will just be propped up on a stand though while I wade with the #8 and some clever flies I have devised for the operation. :wink: Just think sand goby/ sand shrimp or sandeel - but bit early for them yet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:16 pm 

Just came across this thread again.....did anyone catch a Turbot on the fly this year? Would be interesting to find out if anyone was successful.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:17 pm 

We had half a dozen on bait in the same area....

but we gave it a good go with the fly too...unsuccessfully.

I'll be going back this April.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:42 pm 

Well you were certainly right on the money at that spot, well done. What a shame you never picked one up on the fly, they were nice size fish too.

Nice photos thanks for posting up :D

I did do some searching on the web and could not find any pics of Turbot on the fly. It seems the 'Turbot on the fly hunt' is set to continue.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:23 pm 

Looks like an 'odds game' that one - they're an aggressive ambush predator, so if you know where they are, it's just a case of zipping a fly past the nose of one! Gotta be a case of covering as much ground as possible I guess....fan cast in an arc, move up, repeat! If the conditions are right, I might try the same approach on the Gower surf beaches for flounder.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:48 am 

Lougher estuary for the flounders chap - plenty!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:03 pm 

what,....as in near Llanelli? Just down the road for me! Tell me more! I went down there once, flyrod in hand, but just couldn't get the measure of the place as the water looked so murky.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:25 pm 

Sinking line hard on the deck. Fish the channels and low water tide pools. Just a matter of covering the ground - looks murky yes, but sometimes at high water estuaries clear as the tide force drops off and the silt particles drop out of suspension.

Keep your ears open for when the locals are getting flounders. Pendine beach used to throw up hundreds, not big ones but 3 on a 3-hook rig for the competition anglers. I don't know if they are still there in such numbers, but if they are you are quids in.