UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: East Coast Fishing Marks
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:04 am 

Hi all
I'm pretty accomplished fly fisherman, but I am very new to saltwater fly fishing. I've got all the kit but I am struggling to find local info on where to go saltwater fly fishing and the best times to go on the Yorkshire east coast. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge that they are willing to pass on.
I also visit the Northumberland coast around Bamborough quite frequently and I have seen a few places that look quite likely. Does anyone have info on the following fishing marks or know of any others:
Budle Bay
Ross Sands North end
Beadnal bay rock marks
Seahouses
Bamborough Light House, near white stag rock.

I have visited the Hardy shop in Alnwick to see if the guys in there have any info. They tell me that sea trout can be found in the Budle Bay estuary area and around the Holy Island causeway. Does any one have any good knowledge and tips for fly fishing these areas. Also does anyone know if any of these areas are out of bounds.

Thanks
Paul

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: East Coast Fishing Marks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:14 pm 

HI Paul hope youre building up your knowledge base of Northumberland. Ive just started ukswff this season so your knowlegde will be more than mine. Being based in Tynemouth have just fished my local beaches and rocky points so far. Did used to surf when I was younger and often saw seatrout moving when sitting beyond the break, especially at Stag Rock and southern end Beadnell Bay around the Long Nanny. Had a couple on spinner then as well. Mind you we are talking over 20 yrs ago.
Recent info is that around Alnmouth can be good in summer.
Tight lines

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: East Coast Fishing Marks
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:54 pm 

you have bass to go at too - and mullet. In the spring, flounders on the sandy beaches. Bass found all the way to Wick and round the corner!

Rock marks such as Dunstanborough castle ledge will yield pollack and coalfish on the tide (flood best) but watch the wave rythum. I got washed off the ledge once by an out of rythum wave - scrambled back but tore my waders on the mussels/barnacles!

I wouldn't use too small a fly either. Even for seatrout you can use #2 and 5" - 6" flies, they are feeding on sandeels and brit (and prawns!)
Don't omit some prawn patterns, they have their day and I want ot catch more wrasse and reckon this will do the trick

Prawn fly

Sandeel fly

I get up there from time to time and have work in Durham somewhere coming up if you want to explore together - Holy Is Lindisfarne area would be my choice.