UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: SWFF - Peterhead
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:33 pm 

Hi all, I'm looking to giving a few of my local beaches / marks a go on the fly in the near future (Peterhead area) however, if there's anyone in the area who's willing to have a 'newby' tag along for a session or 2, please give me a shout.

I last fly fished some 25+ years ago and I can happily hurl a 6oz grip weight and bait a fair distance, but the idea of travelling light , instead of with 2 rods, tripod, box pack etc, appeals to me.

Thanks,

Martyn

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: SWFF - Peterhead
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:20 pm 

martyn, welcome to the forum!

i'm maybe about the closest to you (which isn't that close), but i often travel along the moray coast which is about an hour and a half for me.

if you know your way around tides, marks etc, then i can certainly help re. the fly fishing. not many of us up here, judging by the responses, but you'll find plenty of advice and i see you've already got some lovely flies! 8)

if you know of a good mark for mackerel within range of the shore then let me know!!!

dave

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:30 pm 

Cheers Dave. There's been plenty of reading of this and other fly fishing related forums in the last week. Tides and marks aren't a problem as I've sea fished the local area for 5+ years or so, but the idea of travelling light, without the tripod, 2 x 13ft+ rods and a box pack appeals to me... mission target for the year, a turbot on the fly (haven't even fished for them with bait yet this year), so it'll be an excuse to hit one or two of the local beaches over the coming weeks.

I can give you good bass spot and there's been a couple of days earlier this summer with the mackerel swimming up an down the breakwater chasing the sandeels, yards away and within casting range, but I think we've probably seen the last of that for the year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:22 pm 

Hi wooky114,
im from the Peterhead area and pretty keen to head out sometime with the fly rod... mostly fish for tout but really interested in doing some SWFF.. been reading loads about the bone fish which does sound good but im sure there's some fun to be had around our bit.
done a bit of sea fishing with bait for the turbot and cod this year with some success, took a good few bass last year but all schoolies.. would be good on the fly but not so easy to get to them.

anyway, not experienced but would be willing to head out for a wander if you ever fancy..

not back in the uk till 12th Aug but have 4 weeks off from then.. send me a PM if your at a loose end.

cheers

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:52 pm 

dont over estimate how hard a bass on the fly is around phd,i hit one first try fluffing in salt and id only been fluffing in fresh water 4 times before that,my mate who taught me to fluff hit one first try too...bout 1 3/4 lb on my 4wt :lol:

wooky that al my new gear here...race you for a turbo :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:00 am 

rauri,
did you manage to take the bass to the left of the bass mark in peterhead.. do they come in close enough for you to get hold of them? iterested to try this for sure.
did you wade at all or were you further down on the beach?

now turbot to the fly.. not heard of that.. how would you fly fish for them.. have to be deep and slow retrieve? and what type of fly's?

again intersted in heading out for a wee shesh someday so give us shout.

Profile E-mail