UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fishing multiple flies???
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:42 am 

Hi guys, i have posted this on fly fishing forum and had a few thoughts as this is specific to swff I thought it would be better placed here thanks.

Read recently a few people mentioning using a number of flie son the same cast. I do this trout fishing all the time but had never really thought about doing it with bait fish, sea flies due to the size of the flies etc.
Would be really interetsed to hera people thoughts please?
I was picturing maybe a size 1 baitfish/clouser on the point then a smaller size 4 or so unweighted/ very light fly on the top dropper. thanks jon

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Fishing multiple flies???
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:07 am 

I have tried it in the past with two different coloured Clousers. Didn't seem to have any problems and caught fish! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:54 pm 

Yep! Works for me :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:36 pm 

portcullis wrote:
Yep! Works for me :)

I'll vouch for that :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:21 pm 

Thank peeps for the comments. i will let you know how i get on? hoping the conditions will be on our side friday got the whole day to fish with a mate as it's our birthday thurs and fri. I am very excited as it the first (sad i know) proper session of the season :oops: :shock:
Anyone else had the elements against them evry time they've looked to go this year??? :?:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:41 am 

Too flamin' right! I haven't even managed a single session yet and I really am getting seriously despondent now :cry: :cry: It's just appalling and there seems little end in sight (certainly no change through into early August at this stage). So far this is the worst year's fishing I've ever had (in over 30 years!!!!). And I can't even perk it up with a trip abroad this year! <Sigh>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:00 pm 

Why are you letting the weather get the best of you ?

If the wind is northerly, find a southerly platform

Vice Versa

If its raining, wear a hat and coat

It is weedy, find a clear spot, or fish in the weed with surface flies

If its murky, use a bushy, flourescent fly

If there is something better on the telly, video it.

Get out there, you won't catch in the armchair, and if you dont catch, bet you learn something for the next trip.

Blustery winds, especially over low later, will show up banks, creases, gulleys and cusps, that are not obvious in weak water rolling surf conditions, go check it out

Stop winging, get out there and get cold and wet.

TF

I am available for motivational speaking btw, reasonable rates

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:04 am 

You don't fish the Bristol Channel much do you... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:27 pm 

TF hold on there a minute :shock:
i'm hardly a fair weather fisherman/anything for that matter. I'm out in all conditions doing some form of activity most of the time.
A bit like polite said about the channel, the estuary where i primarily fish is open and battered by the winds. i personally don't fancy the flies engaging with my anatomy and have had close calls being out in such conditions :( i personally don't have the ability or desire to attempt to cast large flies in these conditions.
I will generally be out in the sea surfing, out on various bikes or fly fishing more settled spots for trout or other types of fishing.
Sorry for being a moaning light weight :oops:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:22 pm 

I do know of the Bristol Channel and its murkiness

Hand on heart, is there no where within an hours drive, that isnt murky?

2 hours?

3 hours?

I am not a disciple of water clarity, although I used to think, no viz = stay at home

I accept minestrone soup is impossible but I fish regularly in less than 2' clarity and can catch fish. Its a matter of adapting by using vivid, large and busy flies, also looking for seams where murky meets less murky.

Even if the conditions were so extreme that I couldnt fish, I'd spend my time scouting for when the conditions are favourable

Certainly helps in reducing cabin fever

TF

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:13 pm 

Ah - now I didn't say I hadn't spent the time scouting now, did I! :wink:

It's just my regular marks are limited to small tides, relatively calm conditions and clear river discharge...and so far the combinations have conspired to make life very difficult indeed. I've tried to spot fish over the last few weeks but there's been not one showing as the Rivers are discharging turgid brown torrents laden with detritus into my usual fertile bass and mullet grounds. Ive fished all of them when its like that and take it from me, its as tough as it gets!

I'm happy to travel 300-odd miles for a days fishing (as many here will testify) if its productive but not on a slim off chance and my usual south coast haunts have been similarly plagued since early June. Bummer! I've only been in Wales for a few years so don't have a massive catalogue of alternate venues yet, so split my time between here and hants/dorset which I know initimately but it's a long old drive if you're faced with driving home again after 2 hrs! Under normal circumstances none of this is an issue, but this relentless bloody rain is causing the most trouble. Still, even the best pf us are struggling this season but I have some exploring planned further west for GG mullet soon and some new Pembs bass marks to try, so I'll keep exploring and hoping for a change in the jet stream!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:28 am 

polite wrote:
Ah - now I didn't say I hadn't spent the time scouting now, did I! :wink:

It's just my regular marks are limited to small tides, relatively calm conditions and clear river discharge...and so far the combinations have conspired to make life very difficult indeed. I've tried to spot fish over the last few weeks but there's been not one showing as the Rivers are discharging turgid brown torrents laden with detritus into my usual fertile bass and mullet grounds. Ive fished all of them when its like that and take it from me, its as tough as it gets!

I'm happy to travel 300-odd miles for a days fishing (as many here will testify) if its productive but not on a slim off chance and my usual south coast haunts have been similarly plagued since early June. Bummer! I've only been in Wales for a few years so don't have a massive catalogue of alternate venues yet, so split my time between here and hants/dorset which I know initimately but it's a long old drive if you're faced with driving home again after 2 hrs! Under normal circumstances none of this is an issue, but this relentless bloody rain is causing the most trouble. Still, even the best pf us are struggling this season but I have some exploring planned further west for GG mullet soon and some new Pembs bass marks to try, so I'll keep exploring and hoping for a change in the jet stream!

Pm sent

Profile E-mail