UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: North devon estuary session today
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:32 am 

WEll despite feeling absolute rubbish i made the effort to get to the estuary with a couple of mile cycle and hike. Conditions as predicted were far from glorious infact the water was like chocolate in places. The wind was blowing pretty hard from right to left :shock: infact my clouser struck he really hard on the side of my head and top of my ear at one point. I have never been hit this hard by a fly before and was very grateful i had my hat, hood and glasses on. It was the hood that potentially saved a loss of ear :!:
Anyway back to the fishing. I walked and observed lots of water and could see no signs of fish or life or any kind for that matter :?
Decided i would fish blind in the end and waded out and fish back towards the shore gradually wading in. All the time looking for signs of fish especially mullet who normally give theie presence away quite easily. Eventually saw a few mullet back in the edgae of the main estuary (left me nymph box in my trout back from yesterday :roll: ). The mullet seemed spooked by my presence and I thought i would be able to find them again but alas i couldn't. Looked in various pools that i know have produced/held fish nothing. Headed back in to the main estuary and sought some shelter round the corner of the light house. Saw a odd fish move and popped a aps bloodworm on along with clouser incase it might tempt a mullet. Anyway feeling as i did i thought i'd end it there and made the long walk back to my bike.
On reflection i was 99% sure it would be like that and the conditions would be awful and against me however the 1% if me thought you never know :D
I am still going to make it my aim to get out there whenever possible and fancy getting down there as soon as the weather clears (if!) as i think the bass and mullet will be on the rampage.
cheers jon
p.s get in contact if anyone fancuies doing some salt water fly in the north devon area 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: North devon estuary session today
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:42 am 

Sounds like a good mullet spot to target when the water clears a bit - definitely worth persevering with. If you don't make those reccy trips, you'd never shortlist the likely spots, so it was worth the effort! :D

Post subject: Re: North devon estuary session today
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:35 pm 

Thanks for your reply. There are loads of mullet muching around on most days under normal conditions. i have noted a number further down as well i have cycled past them communiting to work a number of times. Plenty of food for thought :idea:
My problem is i have sooo many interests and hobbies I can't do all of all of the time :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail