UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:31 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:07 pm 

Colin,

Those two will probably take that as a compliment.....Well if not they should :lol: :lol:

And as for showing Alan the finer points of salmon fishing....He ain't got no finer points :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:21 pm 

After about half an hour of use, I commented to Matt that it was a brilliant line, enquiring of him what make was it, and I was absolutely dumfounded when he replied that the line was an Airlo 40+ Saltwater!!!

Genty, I have just looked ait Airflo catalogue and cannot find the above?? +40 Extreme and +40 expert both of which have the ridge running line, the line they quote for stripers is the 'Cold Saltwater?? any thoughts on this.

Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:25 pm 

Not readily available in the UK, I am afraid, listed on the Glasgow Angling Centre site at..
http://www.fishingmegastore.com/acatalo ... Range.html

But seems no stock. Might be worth a call to them, for at that listed price, are a good deal cheaper than the cost in the USA, although Bearsden.com do have some on special offer at the moment in 8 and 9 weights.

Better tell you the Bearsden info was originally given to me by the pancake man....He will only start squwarking on at me if i don't. :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:09 pm 

Thanks for that Brian, obviously they brand to suit locally! Is the pancake man that bad really!! six at a time?? can only manage three mysel :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:12 am 

Hmm while the cats away.....My thread gets hijacked!

Colin pretty good mate if you add 4 stone to the one on the left and a good dollop of hair laquer then you have Sir Genty of Toad Hall to a T. Better ask him about London Matey I don't come from there. 8)

Everybody knows that salmon eat worms, shrimps, tobys and other associated odd things. Catching them with a fly is just some fetish that will soon pass. Bet they would just love Sluggos! Watch this space Get Some!

Brian salmon fishing is not a class thing, you just need money, contacts and a dollop of BS. Why else would they let you of all people fish on the Eden et al? Many thanks for all your help and hinderance, most valuable.

Ditchie I think the line that Toadie is talking about and used is this one
http://www.bearsden.com/product787.html
I seem to remember the line having blue backing. The Airflo 40+ Extreme lines at GAC are freshwater lines. Difference? Who knows Airflo change their line range every couple of months. Mind you Toadie managed to use it for longer than 10 mins without breaking it so they must be quite good :lol: That same line from GAC used to be rated 8/9 and that is what I have used. Mind you they only cost me about a tenner! Loaded a Sage RPLXi 9wt nicely but not a T&T HII 9wt.
Loads on e-bay just do a search. Hint the slow intermediate is a disgusting colour. :wink:
Three pancakes for brek I found just the ticket, a pile of greasy bacon, eggs and hash browns do not make good shipmates. Mind you nobody told me they came in sixes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:30 am 

Thanks for that Alan, did you guys stop laughing at any one time while you were away, the comments seen since would say not indeed I'm surprised you even managed to cast a straight line.

Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:38 am 

I dont think he needed a line basket after a dozen pancakes a day. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:48 am 

Alan,
Quite right Mate we had our share of laughs and more. Genty laughed so much his makeup cracked and fell off. He can only throw a straight line when he is laughing. Ask him about Matt telling him to fish in bare feet or how to cast while standing on a gunnel in a Force 5! Mind you Genty's patent leather, stilleto slingbacks were hardly the thing for boat fishing. :wink: Or indeed how Matt reckoned the fishing was at its best when you could see the Albies swimming in the waves seven feet above you! I think he was actually serious and his comments about liking a bit of weather he made to all the landlubber US captains after battling our way back through some very dodgy conditions were hilarious. His gallant crew had been hanging on grimly with every appendage they had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:50 am 

Did not use a line basket for fishing SD. Kept my spare pancakes in it! They don't do a line basket in Genty's size! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:52 am 

Did Genty have a "J Fisher" basket and you had an "A Scoffer" ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:05 am 

Dunno Mate, Genty had the nice comfy front of the boat and spent most of the day asleep in a hammock! Only woke up when the waves washed over him :lol: I got the back of the boat which everybody knows is far more challenging! Poor Amanda had to keep telling Genty to get back in his hammock cos she could not see a thing in front when he stood up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:11 am 

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:57 pm 

Oh dear Oh dear....I spend a morning away doing some work, unlike you two Essex tarts, and what do i come back to.....Pancake spouting on yet again, and his little "I No Nuffin" lap dog as ever chipping in :roll: :roll:

Just let me tell you Pancake my rotund friend, that I wasn't referring to class distinction, and yes, to get on the most prolific private beat of the Eden, it certainly is a case of being in the know....Trouble is you ARE in know, and if you think after this lot, i am going to let you on ....Dream on Pancake :wink:

Fetish ah, well methinks your Albie fetish soon past...Fly fished for them first day, then i couldn't get that dam sluggo out of your fat mit for the rest of the trip!

And as for you Lap Dog...... I need some respite from this continuing slanderous attack on my character, so do me a favour, have a quick run through your Bushy videos, to see if you can come out with anymore dross info like the popper/intermediate crap, then perhaps for just a few posts everyone can have a go at you again :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:39 pm 

Toadie old chap splendid, so which class were you referring to? 1st, 2nd, 101? Rotund? Me? When every morning I gasped with awe at your vast bulk heaving itself into it's hammock! :shock: There's a 12 pancaker I thought with some admiration, now how can I aspire to such awesome vastness as Genty the Great? I know when I'm beat. In know? Totally lost me old sprout thought I was in Beds!

Half a days Sluggoing does not an Albie fisher make but I do seem to remember hooking a few purely by accident on the fly. Promise I wont do it again Guv :cry: I did keep trying to pull the fly away from 'em but they just kept on pulling back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:05 pm 

You probably are in Beds pancake me 'ol son, for you obviously aint doing no work, and could easily be using your lap top from yer pit....Ugh what a ghastly thought.:shock:

Guess yer Lap Dog must have taken my advise....aint heard from him for at least a couple of hours.....Get ready for another Bushy load of bllks :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:24 pm 

Genty you old shrimper you! Very quiet at work today, all the users must be dead, on holiday or both. Been helping dear ole Ditchie sort out his Airflos after you quite deliberately gave him a load of duff gen. Now why would anyone do that. Well now he knows what you are rambling on about which makes two of us. Him and me :lol:

No snotty nosed Eden salmon for the gallant SD, he's after a Crouch 6 incher :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:44 pm 

Oi you,

I have never intentionally given anyone duff info....Unlike your Lap Dog...all I did was pass on the Bearsden Info you gave me.

However, in an attempt to make things totally clear, the line I was using was the 40+ Saltwater cold intermediate. Clear Head, and Aqua running line.

And as for your poochy friend, he should try cutting his teeth on the normal Crouch bass before attemptimg to do battle with the specimen six inchers....Salmon, way beyond him at the moment matey :wink: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:55 pm 

Northern monkeys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:39 pm 

Ah there you are, thought for a moment you had either been dragged in by one of the crouchy critter,s or was it that you were too engrossed watching your hairy hero :lol:

Not got much to say when your mucker aint about to back you up, have you :?:

Last edited by GentytheShrimper on Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:40 pm 

I was fishing, read catch reports , had a few on the crab clouser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:23 pm 

My profound apologies dear sir, have read your report, and replied apropriately with regard to your scaremongering. Have also given credit, where credit is due :lol:

Post subject: brian & al
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:58 am 

i would like to add,that banter apart,both of you were a pleasure to fish with.i wish that all the people that fish with me had your casting skills (and flies!).actually i find that most of the guys that i fish from the u.k can cast pretty well, although as you found out,successful albie fishing requires more than the ability to cast a long way. speed,accuracy and line control are most important.
albies continue to show in abundance,bass have yet to show in any numbers due to the high water temps.we all hope that they show before the high concentrations of bait disappear.
fishing wasn,t great during your visit,but you got a taste of what it can be like.
reports of 50lb bluefin in the area,so lets see what the next week holds.both myself and amanda hope you make it back.
matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:38 am 

Matt , you must be a gluton for punshment mate. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:16 am 

Hi Matt,

Pleasure fishing with you will definitly be coming back for some more punishment! Skill set required was completely different from anything Brian or I had encountered before and I was just about up to some sort of speed when the week ended. Albies in a abundance sounds like a fly fishermans dream and 50lb bluefins.....On a 10 weight? Will bring lots of the right kind of flies next time :wink: and loads of those Crab Clousers to give away!

Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:54 pm 

Hi Matt,

Just back from an early morning salmon fishing session....BLANK and never even saw a dam salmon!!

Endorse everything Alan says about our trip, for whilst we may have been a tad too early to get the best of the fishing, nevertheless, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, certainly caught enough fish to keep us happy, and the company and crack on the boat was terrific!!

I have done a fair bit of tropical salt water fishing, but have never experienced anything like Montauk....Was certainly an eye opener, and not for the feint hearted.....Hope they never impose a speed limit out there on the water, 'cos you will have to double your costs to pay for the fines!!!

Thanks so much for giving us such a good time, and I will be in touch in a month or so, re booking for next year.

Kind regards

Brian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next