UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Back from Oahu, Hawaii
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:22 pm 

Just got back from Hawaii last night (5 day extension on a USA fly-drive trip). Still a bit tired from the 3 flights and 31hrs of travelling :P

It wasn't a fishing trip but I did bring my #8wt gear and managed to get out fishing 3 times in Hawaii.

The first trip was with a guide (Ed) arranged by Nervous Waters Fly Fishers, Honolulu (fly shop and guiding service). We were going to try for Bonefish.

Ed picked my up from my hotel in Waikiki and took me to the chosen fishing spot about 20 minutes away - a rather rough looking flat comprised of dead coral, weed and sand patches - typical of the flats in Oahu.
I used my own gear by choice. The fly was made by Ed - I didn't want to waste any time on my first ever Bonefish trip.

My hopes hadn't been high, as I had read a few reports from the net that it was tough going but the fish are big. I had also read that it was usually windy - this was the case today, with trade winds gusting to 20mph. The sea was kept relatively calm by the outer reef.

Wow - fish on in less than an hour whilst blind casting off the outside edge of the flat :lol: I had read a lot about Bonefish being good fighters and now I believed it - the fish had taken a good portion of the 175yds of 20lb backing off my reel on the first run, under a heavy drag setting on 17lb tippet (scary from a fly line losing point of view) The fish then made a second run before tiring, although still battling all the way in. A nice Bonefish at approx 7lb:

I must say that my Scierra Avalanche 7-9 reel (same as Okuma Airframe) performed perfectly.
I got 2 more smaller Bonefish (?4lb and ?2lb) also great fighters for their size. Thanks Ed.

The next time I got a chance to fish was whilst taking a trip around the island in our hire car. I think it was Hale'iwa Harbour.
I had spotted some baitfish breaking the surface about 20yds out from the beach, so we stopped. I put on a size 8 Clouser and caught one of the Baitfish!
I will have to look up what species this is.

Hale'iwa Harbour?

My final fishing trip was on our last day. I got up at 05:30am to fish the East side of the Ala Wai Harbour, just a few minutes away from Waikiki.
I had been there the night before and seen a few small Barracuda and other species. The first fish to take a fly was a tiny Barracuda:

After the Cuda, I caught about 4 Lizard Fish. The Lizard fish were only a couple of ounces each, but they had a massive (lizard-like) mouth. They would dash out from under the sand or a rock and engulf the fly, before attempting to get back to their hiding place. Unfortunately, the photo from my waterproof disposable camera didn't come out well at all.
I was just about to leave, when something slightly heavier took. I got it close enough for me to identify it as a large Cornet fish (locally, Nu Nu) the hook pulled out before I could land it.

I had a great time in Hawaii. I wouldn't go all that way back especially for the fishing, although the fishing was better than I had expected - certainly better than a few other places I have been. It was a great place for a holiday. If I ever go back, I will be bringing my fly gear again.

Post subject: Re: Back from Oahu, Hawaii
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:24 am 

Your "bait fish" looks like a small Jack Crevalle. Nice catchin'! :D