UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Montauk (October) - Fishing Partner Wanted
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:04 pm 

Don't really know where to post this thread, so have added it to a couple of sections within the forum

For a good few years now, I have been going over to Montauk fly fishing for the Striped Bass and Flase Albacore,, and apart from about 4 years ago, when the bait fish (Bay Anchovies) hadn't arrived, every other year we have had spectacular fishing to say the least.

I know, it might sound an exaggeration, but as far as the Bass fishing is concerned there have been plenty of times when the only only way you were not going to catch a striper in the 12 to close on 20lb class was not to make a cast…and that really is the truth…….and on most trips we probably catch at least a couple of hundred stripers a piece, averaging I suppose around 14 to 15lb.

As far as the Albies are concerned, well they are a different kettle of fish (pun intended) altogether, and it really is exciting and at times totally frustrating , chasing them around as the flash at high speed through the top of the weaves, sometimes totally ignoring everything you chuck at them sometimes smashing into you offerings with gusto, and then ripping off 150 yes or so of backing in a few seconds….Anyone who thinks bonefish can shift, will be amazed when the hook into one of those little tunny, at just how fast a fish can really shift.

We make the trip over every year to fish from a boat for 6 days, sometime between the 1st and 6th October, hopefully to coincide with the migration of the billions of bay anchovy, which in turn attract the stripers and albies in their thousands,and inducing massive blitzes of fish the likes of which have to seen to be believed, and at times could quite easily cover a two or three acre area of the sea.

I normally travel over there with Colin McLachlan (Shad) but this year, he has had to pull out, for personal reasons, thus I am looking for a boat partner to make the trip over with me this coming October.

I have not finalised any dates, but having made the trip for so many years, fishing with the same guide, and staying at the same place, fortunately my guide, Tommy Cornicelli has told me he will not take any bookings for the first 14 days of October, until I let him know what is happening, and the motel will do likewise with our two rooms.

If anyone out there is interested in making the trip over, I can't drive, and as Montauk is just about a two hour drive from JFK airport, they must be willing to do the driving, but in return can have the favourable stern end of the boat.

Please drop me a pm if you are interested, but I have attached a couple of pictures of both the fish, you are likely to encounter, with double hooks ups being the norm as far as the bass are concerned, and a couple of the bass blitzes that I have filmed....Sorry but I dont know how to embed youtube video on this forum so have added links.

The boat we fish from is a 29ft Centre Console Contender so there is bags of room for the two of us, and whilst we very rarely fish more than half a mile offshore, and 90% of the time it is much closer than that, if you suffer from sea sickness, it can get a bit "Hairy" as a lot of the fishing is what we call "Gunnin' & Runnin'" that is to say, there is no anchoring up whatsoever, and we are cruising around looking for birds working, and fish blitzing, so it is often the care of short bursts of gunning the engines and running across the water to get to a feeding frenzy. It is fine when you are running with the waves, but you do get knocked around a little when running through the waves, so expect to return home with a few bruises here and there.

The overall cost including flights hotels boat booking and car hire, plus food and beer of a night, comes to around £2500, depending on the exchange rate at the time, and how much beer you drink of a night, and as we easily get to Montauk in a single day, with plenty of time to go out on the evening of our arrival, our overall stay is for 7 night….i.e if we arrive on a Saturday, we then fish Mon-Fri and then leave for home ton the Sat.

I could go on and on, but as I say, if anyone is seriously interested in making the trip, please pm me and we can then get in touch and I will give you all the info, and answer any and all of the many questions you will probably have.

http://youtu.be/6WjI1m7gjOQ

http://youtu.be/5GUqxXsWVkM

Post subject: Re: Montauk (October) - Fishing Partner Wanted
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:30 pm 

Now sorted folks, thanks :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:18 pm 

Lucky beggars! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:25 pm 

I thought it was you :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:22 pm 

pf...I wish! I'll be lucky if I can afford bloody Margate, let alone Montauk :roll: