UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Oman
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:01 pm 

Hi there!

I'm off to Oman in december, any advice? I'll be staying in muscat and although this trip is not a dedicated fishing trip I'll still be taking more fishing gear than anything else! :) 9wt, 7wt and some spinning gear. If anyone knows any shore spots I can check out on google earth which are close to muscat that would be good. What species? what flies? what colour flies? Any pics of catches there would also be great just to get the adrenaline flowing! I've seen there are some charters available but I'm unlikely to have much time apart from short trips to the beach.

Post subject: Re: Oman
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:13 am 

Hi Dave,

I went to Muscat in 2008, with a nine-weight. It was interesting because there are clearly some amazing fish available quite close inshore - check out the fish market in Muttrah - but not to me! The problem I think was that that stretch of the coast is fished quite heavily from the shore. Having written that, I was there in April, and I think I heard somewhere that winter is when the tuna run close inshore.

Hotels pretty much didn't let me fish off their beaches. The one time when I caught a succession of small(ten-twelve inch) grouper was when I fished a rocky outcrop at the end of a beach that was owned by a hotel being rebuilt. I walked onto the beach - it's by a village called Quatab. After about two hours fun, I was, very politely, asked to leave by security.

You can fish the harbour at Muttrah and the big public beach, near Ruwi. There's an estuary/creek there that looks promising. It's just I saw no fish, nor had a take. Lots of people fishing though.

I also caught a two foot long garfish by going over rocks to a point along the coast just before Quatab.

Charters are expensive as well as lasting at least a few hours. However, you could ask some local fishermen to take you out, which would cost less and not take so long. I did this and had a take, from something, which didn't stay on long enough to get an idea of size or species. Ideally, you'd want to be able to instuct the skipper to sail in a way that's condusive to fly-fishing, but my Arabic isn't that good.

I'm planning to go to Oman again, and if at all possible I'm taking an inflatable ocean-going kayak with me. There's a lot of beautiful coastline around the headlands and inlets near Muscat, but access is the problem. The stretches that aren't owed by hotels are often very steep. You'd need to be something of an experienced rock climber to get from the road to the water.

I definitely wouldn't recommend fishing from the shore around the Sultan's palace. There were a lot of big signs forbidding it.

All that said, I had a brilliant time. I did read a blog recently about someone connecting with small tuna off a boat in the entrance to Muttrah Harbour. That'd be near a spot on the shore, a small quay about a kilometer out of Muttrah along the road to Quatab, which looked good. Also casting from the park/fairground the next bay or so along could be worthwhile.

All the best

David

Post subject: Re: Oman
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:59 pm 

Thanks for the reply David - sounds promising! I actually have an inflatable kayak but it weighs about 20kg so might be an issue taking it as luggage - I wonder if there are any special rules with kayaks as extra baggage/sports equipment. Where there's a will there's a way! Will definitely check out those spots you mentioned. If one really can catch tuna close in it would be quite an experience on an inflatable kayak!! :shock: looking really forward to it now! will let you know how I get on! Cheers - Dave.