UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Greek Mainland
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:35 pm 

Hi Guys . I'm looking for advice regarding the Greek Mainland from late May onwards. Im flying to Corfu then getting the ferry to the mainland at Igoumenitsa and slowly making my way around the western coastline to Kalamata. There appear to be several lagoon systems along the coast does anyone know anything about them? Are they fishable, is it legal, is anything fishy in them? Ive got my inflatable sup with me so a bit I don't mind if they are deeper than Bonefish flats.
Thanks in advance
Michael

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Greek Mainland
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:40 am 

Try dropping a line to our member Dimitri. He's based on that side of Greece so may well be able to help... I suggest you find a post by him or look in the members list, then use the email link because as far as I can see he hasn't been on this site since January last year so a PM probably wouldn't get a response.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:27 am 

Thanks Andy. That's a great piece of advice!
Michael

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:28 am 

If you haven't already, work your way through his posts. He posted quite a lot about fishing in NW Greece, including a mention of Igoumenitsa! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:42 pm 

hello guys it has been a while

sorry for that but i have started new hobbies (rock climbing and trail running) and i dont have much time to write like i used to. New hobbies but i havent forgot the old ones , i just adjusted them. Now i onlw swff and obly for seabass and only from start november to start january and only at one specific place .

This year it has been a good year with lots of fish but not bigger than 3 kilos.

this is one of the bigger

So micheal i can help u a lot for the ipeiros region but from there and on i dont have a clue . Late may is a good season for small predators at first daylight (bluefish, horse mackerel ) and last daylight (european baracuda , seabass ) if u like predator fishing , but u can find also many big mullets like the spanish ones .

So tell me how many days and where u will be in the ipeiros region so i can help u with spots hours and fish , for example the port of igumenitsa u will be arriving at from corfu is a great spot if it holds baitfish (it usually holds) at first daylight for small bluefish . One day last june i hooked lots of them but managed only one as they have teeth and jump around .

cheers guys from the sunny ioannina

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:40 am 

Good to hear from you Dimitri - yiasoo! Sounds like you'll be able to help Michael. I'm going to be in Zante in June, not fishing, but very much looking forward to soaking up the sun! 8)

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:04 am 

Well done Dimitri nice fish. :mrgreen:
Cheers Ray.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:20 am 

Thanks for posting Dimitri and your offer of advice. Dates are not set in stone, we tend just to go with the flow, the only thing definite is our flight to Corfu which is the 29/05/16. We may spend a few days on Corfu before travelling across and then gradually travelling around. Ive looked at Google maps and your previous posts. Apart from the port itself I like the look of the delta area south of Sagiada, do you have any experience of that area? I have an inflatable standup paddleboard which Im going to bring , is it legal to fish from one in Greece and would I need a license to do so. I know there have been some changes regarding licenses so up to date info would be nice!
Finally flies. I was going to bring the usual mullet flies along with clousers size 2 chartreuse, olive, black, some larger 2/0 flies EP style baitfish patterns and a couple of poppers and gurglers in various colours. Is that going to be ok or do I need to bring a Bugger Barn full of other stuff.
Efharisto
Michael

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:29 pm 

hello micheal

firstly for the delta area i can tell u a lot of things cause its the specific place i was talking about in the other post . It is a very beatyfull place with lots of endemic species and also stop for lots of birds (flamengo among others) quiet and peacefull .It is a preserved place through the natura program but fishing is allowed in all the places apart the small lagoons that are used from local fishermen to grow fish , unfortunately not all of them have signs so u must be a bit carefull, but usually u can spot them . Fishing with a padleborad is legal actually padleborad or kayak or float tubes are not mentioned in any law , as almost noone fish with those .

I imagine u will have a car , cause u need a car to drive through the delta area and very good navigation . The delta is full of big mullets if u like to target them and i imagine with colins flies and technique it will be a massacre , i havent targeted them in the delta cause i was always busier with predators but u will find very bigg mullets like the spanish ones . Offcourse the padleboard will help u alot move in the delta and u can target the species easier.

In the summer u can find bluefish in the delta in the first daylight but not in range of casting , i had bought a float tube in order to target those but never got use it , i think with the padleboard u can get in casting range .

U can also find seabass in the delta but the summer they are not much active and u must search a lot and u dont find big ones easily , thats way i only go in the winter .

The are a few places i can send u to try for mullet bluefish and seabass , but since the forum is open to google search i prefer sending them to u via mesage , ofcourse the same counts for every member of the forum who wants to visit this place just ask me and i will send u .

As for the flies i know that the clouser is a big thing over there and in the warmwaters , but i have never got a fish on a clouser in the sea . I dont now why , i also dont like its weight on the casting , but i never believed in the clouser so maybe its even that . I mainly use baitfish imitations surf candy likes or just simple sardine or ancovy imitations , white fishair or olive dna - 3d eye and uv glue will do the job. I also use crab imiations for the seabass and a variation of this italian fly http://www.medflyfish.com/mffforum/inde ... pic=3404.0 without the weight the brownish colour is very important .
I fish those predator flies with fast sinking cold saltwater line (even in the sumer) and i use and 8weight .

Poppers and gurglers i have never used them but i think u will have great results for bluefish if u can get to casting range , give them a try .

Offcourse the best is to go in the first daylight and stop when the sun is up and the heat has started .

I would suggest an early session in the delta then chilling in some beach and an afternoon session in the port of igumenitsa for baracuda .

I think i covered it all , dont forget thr sunblock cream and mosquito reppelant , if u want to ask me something else go ahead , i will send u the places in mesage .

cheers guys from the sunny ioannina

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:47 am 

Thanks Dimitri, had a look at the link, the fly looks very much like the Slider group of flies used for bonefish and in larger sizes for redfish. I guess there's very little new out there. I will keep the questions coming but by private message!
Michael

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:47 pm 

Dimitri,

Your posts are always fascinating so thanks for taking the time. This may not be the most active forum which means your posts are very well appreciated by those who do pop by now and again- there's certainly no where else I read about fly fishing for Greek bass! Your delta fishing and the brown goby pattern both sound very interesting. Do you fish the fly over a clean sandy or muddy bottom with your fast sinking fly lines? It's also very good to hear of winter fishing for bass. If I could sort out my time\money equation this might be an option during the winter- one can but hope ;-)

Thanks,

Will

Profile E-mail