UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Marseille
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:42 pm 

Hi Matt here
I am off to France with wrk on a 5 week course in Marseille and was wondering about taking a rod with me - has anyone got any ideas about where to fish and what I might catch?
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:57 pm 

Bream and Bass down there , spent some time in Montpelier 2 years ago, and had a spinning rod I bought in the local decathlon store there.

Food wise , you must try the Casulett and the bouliabasse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:12 am 

There are also a LOT of mullet in the harbours: chumming with bread works fine.
As for bass, most of the summer it is just FAR too hot, so only worth fishing at dawn and after dark. Better is as a mistral wind is calming down, since this produces the nearest thing that the Med gets to surf this time of year, and clears the beaches of tourists. All the (depressingly small) number of bass I have caught in the S. of France over the years have been after a mistral.
As for rods, a #9 is really too heavy unless you are going offshore (tunoids etc, but very hard to find; its really too early in the year). I would suggest a good #6 or #7 and a range of lines would do the job. Take lots of nymphs, marabou bread flies, shrimps etc, as well as the usual clousers, and you could catch some of the breams and similar species.

Tight lines
Sash

Post subject: Marseille
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:08 pm 

Hi Sash and the Sea Dog
I have a 7 weight Greys GRX and was thinking of taking that with a WF7 Floating line. I have a limited stock of flies abut will stock up on some when I am down in Devon next week on a family holiday. I will be staying in Aix-En-Provence as it is about the same distance from the airport where I am on a course as it is from Marseille Vieux Port which is where I stayed last time. Although it is quite nice around the harbour itself with all the boats and the cafes and bars it seems to get a little more seedy when you go a few blocks in from the harbour - typical port city I guess...
I have been to one of the beaches that is to the left of the harbour as you look out to sea but not fished it - this was a couple of years ago with my wife and son and we just walked on the beach and paddled but I guess if I looked out for some fishy features it might be a start. Do I need a permit to fish in the sea in France?
I know that this is a SWFF fishing site but any idea if there is an river fishing near Aix? Any info would be helpful as 5 weeks is a long time to be away and I would like to find things to do in the evenings after my course.
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:46 pm 

Maybe take a line size up as well if the wind blows, not that it should down there , but gives you more options , or perhaps an intermediate ?