UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sardinia
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:35 am 

anyone have any experince of Sardinia as a SWFF destination. I am aware of the medfly site, but would be grateful for any other links or personal experiences. Heading out there in July.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:32 pm 

Members are not ignoring you fella, just no one can have fished where you want the advice about. Or not a lot of members look in here, try postin a copy in the SWFF section. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:08 am 

I have not fished in Sardinia, but I have SWFF'ed a lot over the years around Corsica and further north, including the French coast from Nice to the west.

I would certainly take a rod, but I would not want to raise your hopes: the Med, alas, is pretty over-fished, especially from the shore, so there is NOT a lot around. It looks great, and very fishy, but it is NOT, certainly compared to the UK.

Secondly, July-August are VERY hot, which again drives what fish there are offshore; the best time of year, by all accounts, is October-December. There is very little point at all in fishing during the day in the summer, except possibly for mullet in the marinas (and even they are much more likely to be caught early in the morning and after dark).

So: fish at night and VERY early in the morning (1 hr before dawn, not 1 hr after) from the shore, or get a boat and go offshore. If you are on the waest coast of the island, the best thing to happen to improve your chances from the shore would be a mistral, or whatever that wind is called once it reaches Sardinia. This can really stir the water up, cool it down, and generate the Med version of surf. Pretty pathetic compared to the UK, but it does bring bass inshore onto the beaches, even in daylight, and it also gets rid of the tourists for a while. All my catches of bass in the Med (not many, which may show how tough it is in the summer) have come in the 1-2 days after a mistral.

If you can get onto a boat, you increase your chances significantly. Prime targets then become small tunoids (mackerel species, albies and the like) plus possibly dorado. This game gets relatively straightforward: look for current seams where the temperature changes and, above all, follow the birds. Terns and gulls are great indicators of baitfish, and beyond 3-5 miles from land the shearwaters can also raft up over shoals of bait. I have never seen any fish offshore, let alone caught them, in the Med that I didn’t first find from seeing the birds. But, to emphasise, I have caught very little in midsummer from either shore or a boat: it is that tough, especially with a fly.

If you can get offshore, a #9 would be fine (I use an intermediate or a Depth Charge line), onshore at that time of year I would fish with nothing heavier than a decent #6, which would also do for mullet in the marinas.

Overall, from the shore I think you would raise your chances of having fun if you lower your expectations, and instead if thinking about bass, dorado, tuna etc, focus on less glamorous stuff: mullet, bream, saupe, scad etc. Think smaller flies, mainly nymphs/bugs/shrimps, as well as chumming with bread etc.

Tight lines
Sash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:02 pm 

As said - Sardinia can be a dead loss - especially if you get a Mistral (I went in April for the first European Kayak Fishing tourny - and took only fly gear). I was on the south of the island - lovely looking water and they do get bass but not near the built up places, you will need to do some legwork to find fish - similar places to where you would look over here, boulder beaches being the best.
The Mistral put paid to 2 days of our fishing - 80 knots of wind is difficult to deal with :shock: It did whip up a surf though, and I hooked a big fish, which I think was a bass from where I was fishing, the big deceiver I was using and how it scorched off into the rocks for my leader to go PING! I had it on for about 20 seconds on #8. I ran and then did a bit of a head shake.
Spearfishing is laso very popular and my good spot was then invaded by a RIB with 2 snorkelers in it who just fell over the boat and swam right through my fishing spot. I felt like cutting their anchor rope :evil:

The summer is not the best time - the Italians reckon that Novemeber is their prime month. However, there are small barracuda about that you might get in touch with - and I mean small, from 2lbs to 10lbs if you are lucky - so a bit of wire leader might be worth taking if you get bitten off.

Deep rock marks could provide a Dentex r other bream type fish - the little dorado (bream not dolphin) are everywhere. Size 4s for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:59 pm 

thanks for the info - I'll let you know how I get on.

just take a few bits and see what happens I think