UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 8:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sea Trout Denmark
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:49 pm 

Finally made a long awaited/planned 3 day trip to Denmark for seatrout. I borrowed a friends holiday home which meant I was fishing the NW coast.
Tried lots of different places and caught garfish everywhere although difficult to hook on the fly. Finally caught a beautiful silver seatrout of maybe a couple of pounds on a pink prawn fly. Made the trip and all my flytying efforts worthwhile - returned it to get bigger...
Will certainly go again better prepared with this experience. Altogether great fun and very peaceful.
Has anyone esle also fished the Sjaelland area?
Johnny

Post subject: Re: Sea Trout Denmark
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:45 am 

Johnny - bit slow in spotting this. Sorry. I haven't fished the top of the peninsular, but have fished around Fyn for a week, both from the shore and off the kayak...it can be feast or famine. You did well to get one on your own. I would love to go back, I was there in April and could have done with being there a few weeks later, the water was FREEZING. I could only wade for about 15 minutes at a time, even with thermals and neoprene waders my feet were going completely numb with cold, to the point where I couldn't stand up any more.

Denmark is the home of seatrout in the sea....then Sweden/Norway in the Baltic. I am sure there is good seatrout in the sea to be had around Wales, and Cornwall too. It needs someone on the ground ot work the puzzle out. Early season would be my first choice, end Feb/March, when they have dropped down the rivers and are packing on weight again. Then again maybe in the late summer, when the baitfish are around in numbers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:12 pm 

It was great fun. I'll be back there next spring now I have a feel for the place. Everyone recommends March /April. I think this year was a bit special in terms of temperatures. I'll keep an eye on the weather and then pick a few days for the trip.

Sure you are right on the UK front. Saw that they catch a few off Chesil, also must be some on the Sussex coast but perhaps not enough to make fishing specifically worthwhile or perhaps just a path to madness!

Off to the NE now for the last week of the Salmon & Seatrout. Let's hope for a good result...

J

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:08 am 

hi, if you go to a main tourist office and ask for a copy of their swff book, It as maps etc of fishing marks, flies to use and what to look out for all in colour, think the cost was 6 pounds . Its a great place to fish and when i was there last ( 2006 ) it was 10 pounds for a licence that covered both sea and all inland waters. and that 10 pounds was for the year not a day or a few hours like good old england.
michael

Profile E-mail