UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: GIBRALTER
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:20 pm 

I am off to Gib for a few days in early April. I expect to find bass, garfish and mackerel. Anyone have any specific hints and tips on where to go and what to target on fly - ONLY fly, and a #8.

Don't mention the mullet...I won't have time for themand I want to come home sane! That said, I might lose the battle with temptation, so what to throw at them (other than a hand grenade) down there - NO, NOT BREAD FLIES, proper flies.

Post subject: Re: GIBRALTER
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:46 pm 

Just round the corner into the Med, I've caught Mullet on small, brown coloured shrimp patterns; Czech nymph style flies tied unweighted with hares ear dubbing and black shell back; Corophium imitations; small black coloured pheasant tailed nymph (nice 8lb Mullet) and a Klinkhammer (when the nuisance Bass would leave it alone long enough for the Mullet to get a look in).
Placing the fly ahead of an advancing shoal of feeding fish with a very slow retreive was the tactic. Keep your finger on the trigger as their takes can be lightning fast and you will be left cursing your slow reactions (nothing at all to do with spending the previous evening in the company of San Miguel).
Good hunting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:29 pm 

Thanks, what size shrimpy things - i have some about 2.5 - 3cm long that would do the trick, size 8s I think they're on. I have some pink shrimps like Cz shape too - worth a dropper perhaps!

Where were the bass, they sound obliging for the time I will have available. A garfish would do!

It is where to go that I have no idea about. I think I will take my Sat Nag with me...she might help find me find my around the maze of streets.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:02 pm 

Tailing Loop wrote:
Thanks, what size shrimpy things - i have some about 2.5 - 3cm long that would do the trick, size 8s I think they're on. I have some pink shrimps like Cz shape too - worth a dropper perhaps!

Where were the bass, they sound obliging for the time I will have available. A garfish would do!

It is where to go that I have no idea about. I think I will take my Sat Nag with me...she might help find me find my around the maze of streets.

The shrimpy things were size 10 and 12. Hare's ear nymphs would be worth trying as well.
I fished the mouth of a small river, where the influx of fresh water seemed to attract a multitude of species - several types of Mullet, Bass, Palametto (like small permit), Barra's and had follows from Garfish. Estuaries are without doubt the prime marks.
The open shore produced plenty of fish as well. It's worth walking the shore keeping an eye out for fish or bird activity. Study the breakers rolling onto shore, packs of Golden Greys cruise in on a wave then dash around hoovering up shrimps (presumably) in the flat water before retreating with the back wash.
Break waters can give good sport also. Cast parallel to the structure. Small Clousers work well on a fast sink tip.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:09 pm 

Thanks very much - enough hints to get me in the right kind of zone. I'll report back when we return, hopefully with some pictures.

Now, just pray for good weather for us please.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:14 pm 

Best of luck, amigo.

Profile E-mail