UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 8:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Spain
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 pm 

I am off to Spain soon and will be taking some gear with me . Going to be near the coast and I am looking at the mullet and bass as my targets . Any suggestions as to what flies to take ? I am taking a 7 weight outfit to be able to cover both species , any advise appreciated .. Also suggestions for line strength for mullet . I hear they run big in the Spanish waters , well at least I hope they do !!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Spain
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:16 pm 

Hi Graham.
I'm off tomorrow for 10 days on the Costa Blanca....can't wait!!
Bass, palometta, gars and practically anything which is predatory and swims will gleefully accept standard clousers and deceivers. Funnily enough, the bass are more keen on Klinkhammers!
The mullet are something else. I have lost/been snapped/had hooks straightened by mullet well into double figures. Finally managed to net a 10 pounder last summer. Loads of mullet in the 1 to 5lb range to provide sport. They are almost as aggressive as UK bass so fairly simple to catch.
Needless to say, an estuary is the ideal mark.
I use fluorocarbon of at least 10lb b/s. Needs to be good quality and flexible enough to make the flies look natural. Talking of which, lightly weighted Czech nymphs in black or brown, sz 12 are a good starting point. Just look for moving fish and drift the flies towards them, then be prepared for a long, hot battle. The 10lb mullet took one hour to reach the net!
Best of luck and I look forward to reading your catch report.

Profile E-mail