UKSWFF.co.uk

Salt Water Fly Fishing in the United Kingdom
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: SWFF in Qatar
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:22 am 

Anyone any info on SWFF in Qatar? Tips & tackle info appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: SWFF in Qatar
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:15 pm 

Hi Austin,

I've not been to Qatar but have been to Dubai on business a couple of times. The Arabian Gulf offshore fishing is pretty legendary and is one of the top SWFF destinations for those wishing to catch sailfish on the fly. Apparently they're not the biggest in the world but there's loads of them with some of the skippers I spoke to saying it was not unusual to catch 5 or 10 in a day in peak season.

Inshore boat fishing (I've been twice in Dubai) is also very good. Didn't manage SWFF but a couple of trolling trips in the shipping channel just off the harbour produced barracuda to 10lbs, trevally to 20lbs and kingfish to 25lbs in good numbers. Lots of baitfish and birds on the surface and I believe it's very possible to catch on fly if you find a boatman willing to give it a go.

I also believe that fishing from the shore can be very productive for queenfish and mullet. see the attached link for article by Martin James on the subject. Some tackle tips here too. He also references inshore boat trips for Jacks, Tuna etc.http://www.fishing.co.uk/article.php3?id=1961

I would imagine Qatar would be similar and definitely worth taking the rods!

Off the top of my head you'll need a #9wt for shore fishing and inshore boat fishing and a #12wt for the sailfish (some boats may have fly tackle, check on the internet). Tropical saltwater lines a must and a range of pretty heavy leaders including wire for stuff with teeth like barracuda and kingfish. #9wt with 15/20lb leader would have handled pretty much anything I hooked inshore but you might want to step that up a bit for Jacks as they fight so hard it hurts! Fly choice inshore wouldn't be that sophisticated with big flashy stuff fine. From the shore, anything that works for bass here will catch there.

Jim.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:04 pm 

Hi Austin,

The fishing is pretty good inshore with a shot at Queenfish, hammour etc. I haven't fished offshore but have fished around the dock at Al Wakra. Inshore the water is quite shallow so you need to find docks, jetties etc.anywhere the water is deeper will provide some action. Look for Al Wakra just south of Doha, Sealine beach at Mesaieed and Al Khor north of Doha. High tide varies but is good Sun, Mon, Tues next week around 6-7pm.

I have had takes to 3" size 6 bucktail clousers in green/white and blue/white combo. There are small crabs around the rocks colours seem to be dark olive and tan with blue markings.

I have a 9wt travel rod c/w tropical floater and a selection of polyleaders and 20lb fluorocarbon. There are some tackle shops in the Old Souq in Doha where you can get tippet and hooks and advice depending on your Arabic, but very little in the way of fly tackle

I am currently in Qatar for a week or so and will be on the dock on Sunday night hoping for another Queenie.

Tightlines

Andy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:48 pm 

Thanks guys for your feedback, I've taken the job and hope to get out here as soon as I've sorted out some domestics. Will make sure I pack some gear. Tight-lines.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Austin,
How are you finding it out in Qatar - is the fishing living up to your hopes?